Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My First Love - Excited, but some doubts.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My First Love - Excited, but some doubts.
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scarleteen! I've been a reader for a long time, and have used the message boards in the past (thought it has been a few years, and I couldn't recall my old login information, so I had to create a new account. I hope that is ok!)

Right now I'd just like to say... I've finally experienced love! Through the few relationships that I've had, I've been very skeptical about the reality of love because I've never felt it. I've also been afraid that love only comes from lust, and that once a certain period of time passes, those butterflies go away.

I have to say, I think I'm in love with this guy. I met about six months ago, and we've been exclusively dating for about five and a half months. Honestly, when we first started dating I just thought it would be a fun short-term thing. But things really sparked between us, and nothing has really felt wrong. We communicate well, respect each other, support each other, and make each other happy.

However, I still have this little doubtful side of me. Part of me says that it's all temporary, and that six months isn't really long enough to be in love with someone. (My mom has told me this many times). I also have this fear that one of us will fall out of love with the other. I know right now we are fine, but I've seen relationships fall apart one, five, or even ten years into the relationship just because one person decided that they didn't need the other person anymore.

I'm not sure why I have these thoughts. It's not like anything has happened to me specifically in the past to make me distrustful. Maybe it's because my mom mentions things like that, just because they are things that "I should think about." Maybe it's because this is the first time I've ever been completely in love and vulnerable with someone, and I'm afraid of getting hurt.

(Actually, I think that he feels the same way sometimes. I know he's had his heart broken by a girl he's loved before.)

Are these feelings normal? Any alternative perspectives would be nice [Smile] Thank you!

Posts: 100 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That always is exciting! Also often scary as hell, confusing, dizzying...the works. Really connecting with someone else and starting to develop a deeper relationship is one of the cooler rollercoasters of life, IMO. [Smile]

I don't know what "in love" means to you. To me, that tends to mean feeling feelings of connection that are romantic, even if they're other things, and feeling the possibility of developing love, or kind of embarking on that journey. So, from where I'm sitting, people can have those feelings even when they first meet a person. Now, those kinds of feelings do often change over time, like most feelings change and shift and evolve (or not) over time. Sometimes they do fizzle out. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they shift into something else.

It's also pretty typical for al relationships to change over time, so people, for instance, deciding years into a relationship that that relationship isn't right for them anymore, or what they want, does happen. Very few relationships in life are permanent or lifelong, or, at least, aren't the same relationship through all of life. I think that's okay, but I also think that's part of life, and pretty unavoidable. I also don't think how long a given relationship or kind of relationship lasts necessarily tells us anything about its value or quality.

But feeling nervous about any of this, scared about it, worried, especially when something is new and feeling are running high is totally normal. Opening up to another person in any way is a big deal.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is very exciting. I to love him more than I've ever really loved someone, other than my own family, before. And when I say love, I mean that I am very physically attracted to him, feel romantic around him, but also just feel really safe, relaxed, and myself around him. All of those things make a pretty amazing combination.

Thank you for your perspective, it makes me feel ok about feeling nervous. It also makes me excited for whatever our relationship brings!!!

On a less serious and more fun note, our six month anniversary is coming up! Any fun ideas?

Posts: 100 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds great, Kabith; I'm pleased you're feeling better.

Here's an interesting article for you to check about love: Love Letter - it's one of my favourites. [Smile]

As for your six month anniversary I can only suggest having a talk with him about all the things you really love to do together and see how many of those things you can fit into a day - and if you can't do it - there's always the next day. [Smile] Have fun!

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.