Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Boyfriend has hygiene problem? (Not that big a deal, but ugh)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriend has hygiene problem? (Not that big a deal, but ugh)
EauDbedroomDancing
Neophyte
Member # 70608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EauDbedroomDancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, sorry this is kind of TMI haha. But lately my boyfriend has given up completely on his hygiene. He won't brush his teeth so he's got really bad breath and yellow gross stuff all over his teeth. He won't use shampoo so his hair is super greasy and he rarely showers. (And when he does he won't use soap). It's getting really gross for me, because kissing him is unpleasant. Also when I perform oral sex on him he smells/tastes bad :-/

He refuses to do these things because he's really paranoid about certain things being bad for you (for instance, he's convinced the flouride in toothpaste will kill him). I tried explaining to him how I felt about this without hurting his feelings...but he got upset and said I was trying to make him do things he doesn't want to.

How can I make him understand how this is for me? I know it's not the biggest deal in the world...I can live with it, but it's pretty gross and annoying. And I'm scared this is going to affect his health! Any suggestions?

--------------------
"My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day..."

Posts: 34 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, thinking toothpaste will kill you sounds like very extreme paranoia to me, and I'm more concerned about his mental health than how he smells, from the sounds of things.

Is this this same person: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/3/t/011295/p/1.html#000000

If so, you'll note that we've discussed a similar issue with him before and suggested professional help. Did he ever seek any therapy out then?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whilemyguitargentlyweeps
Activist
Member # 70059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whilemyguitargentlyweeps         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey EauDbedroomDancing,

I was in a relationship for a while where my then-boyfriend had a lot of strange qualms about everyday activities and hygiene, so I understand your frustration! If you're afraid he won't listen to you, do you have an intermediary to whom you can relay concerns (mutual friend?) and whom he might listen to? I recently had a similar issue with another friend, and I found that having a mutual friend whom my friend respected intervene eased the tension.

Posts: 42 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are talking about same person in both threads, like Heather said, then I have to say that he probably needs professional help about his mental heath. You could talk about to his relatives or close friends, cause this can turn out to be very serious problem.
Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EauDbedroomDancing
Neophyte
Member # 70608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EauDbedroomDancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is the same guy. I did suggest that he seek help awhile ago. He actually took it well, and he agreed to see a psychiatrist. He was eventually put on anti-depressants. They've actually been helping quite a bit. Also, sorry...I think I made him out to be much more paranoid then he actually is! He's was concerned that flouride is bad for him, so he was using baking soda in place of tooth paste for awhile. But then he stopped (which he admitted today was due to laziness). I talked to him about it today, and he really had no idea how much it bugged me. He agreed to start brushing his teeth/showering more often.

He does have his moments where his depression gets him and he's suddenly fatigued and doesn't feel like doing much (this isn't often though), but he's progressed a lot and hasn't accused me of not loving him in a very long time. He also went back to school, and got a part-time job.

Sorry, it totally sounds like I'm making excuses for him, but I do feel like I made this seem more extreme than it actually was...and his depression is starting to get a lot better.

--------------------

Posts: 34 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's totally okay.

Is he still seeing that therapist? I ask because I'd say if he isn't, it sounds like it's time to start that back up, especially since this might be about depression, but it might be about something else.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EauDbedroomDancing
Neophyte
Member # 70608

Yes, he's still seeing the therapist, but recently his sessions were cut from once a week to once every other week...so he is experiencing a lot of anxiety over that. Do you think his anxiety could be the reason?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Not knowing the whole of his history, I don't know, but what you're describing with this sounds like a combo of paranoia and depression.

Has he told his therapist about these worries?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.