Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Physical Intimacy in Long Distance Relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Physical Intimacy in Long Distance Relationships
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently posted about this in another online forum for people in LDRs. The response I've gotten thus far has been very negative and I get the impression that a lot of the other people aren't open to the idea of having another person in the relationship that fulfills a physical need (not in a sexual way). Here is what I posted about:

"My SO and I are at separate colleges, and have been dating for 2 years. We did a LDR last school year, and have just started back up for the next 8-9 months of school, so seeing each other will be scarce again. At my college, I have a very good guy friend. We are comfortable around each other physically and I spend a lot of time with him. Sometimes, when we are watching a movie together on the weekends, we get a bit cuddle-y. It's just nice and comfortable. (he also has a LDR with his girlfriend. Worth mentioning) It is nice to have the somewhat intimate human contact with another person when being separated from my SO.

What do you folks find the best way to deal with a lack of physical intimacy that comes from LDRs? Without feeling like you are cheating on the other person...My SO and I haven't ever gone through and set up specific boundaries or anything, and I don't want him to stress out over the thought that I'm being unfaithful, because honestly, I have no desire to be in an emotional relationship with anyone else. I simply enjoy the somewhat physical relationship I currently have with my male friend.

Any advice/tips for talking about this sort of thing without stirring up feelings of distrust would be appreciated. Many thanks."

First of all, most of the commentors pointed out, and I completely agree with and understand this is something that needs to be fixed -- My boyfriend and I should have defined boundaries before the LDR started. For whatever reason, we didn't. Probably because we didn't imagine it would be an issue. (young and naive...) I will be hopefully be bringing up the topic with him tonight or later this week.

One thing that I would really like to understand, though, is how those that are in LDRs deal with the lack of more intimate physical contact you get with things like snuggling up during a movie with someone, getting a back massage from someone, or simply putting your feet in their lap when hanging around.

It seems to me (and knowing my boyfriend, I think he would feel similar) that things like this are mostly harmless activities. (again, something that I must discuss with him at length) As I said, I am not seeking any sort of sexual relationship or deeper emotional relationship with anyone but my boyfriend. I just want to be able to have a helpful discussion about things like this from understanding people without being attacked for cuddling with someone during a movie.

Thank you for any advice you have to give.

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.