Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What is a "serious" relationship?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is a "serious" relationship?
WildRice
Neophyte
Member # 45445

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildRice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious, how would you define a serious relationship?

I would define it as moving in, having/adopting a child together, getting engaged and/or married, long term travelling, or being with a partner for over a year. Somewhat of an event or thing that generally makes distinct changes in your life.

I ask this because my friend and I were talking about it once and realized we seem to have different expectations and ideas of what a serious relationship. It made me curious to the other ways people define it. [Smile]

Posts: 38 | From: Northwest Coast | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought a serious relationship = going steady and agreeing to be together for as long as your personalities and circumstances allow, but I think your explanation makes a lot more sense.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never really thought about defining a serious relationship. I guess, I would just say "when it feels serious". I think if you are making the kind of commitments you are talking about, WildRice, those would probably feel serious (though I think you can travel with a partner in a less serious relationship, and you can have a longer term casual or non-serious relationship) but I think you can have a relationship which feels serious just because , it does.

Interesting topic.

Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that sometimes when we say "serious" relationship, we might be referring to a long term relationship that generally doesn't feel very serious because we have such a great time with that person and we make each other happy/ier so it's often much more fun than serious, but I guess you could say the serious part is where you're there for each other when things aren't going so well? In other words, it's serious if you turn to each other in serious situations? I know this term is generally used for romantic/sexual relationships, but I guess more generally all of us need relationships where we're capable of handling being serious about things with the other person, it isn't necessarily a problem to have a few casual friends where it's mostly about meeting up when you're in the mood to party/otherwise have fun, but I don't think many people would do well if those were the only relationships they had with anyone (in the general sense, not just sexual/romantic relationships)

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.