Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Boyfriends Controlling Parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriends Controlling Parents
Sunnyside193
Neophyte
Member # 72539

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sunnyside193     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So im 18 and my bf will be 18 soon. We have been together for just over 2 years now. He is at uni and lives in a different town to me, however we used to live in the same town and we went to school together. Now i like his parents but they treat him like he is a kid and have doen other little things but the latest thing they have done has got to me.

While my bf and his family were overseas i logged onto my bfs facebook as he told me his password and posted a message as a joke for when he came back. He didnt seem to mind but his parents did. They had a go at him telling him Im controlling and that if i did something like that again his dad would considering ending our relationship.

I will admit there were times when i was controlling but me and my bf talked about it and worked it out. He has also tried standing up to his parents and this didnt work. I dont know what to do. Is there any way or anything that i or my bf can do to get his parents to back out of our relationship???

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it sounds like your boyfriend could set some limits, and also choose perhaps not to tell you when his parents say this kind of thing.

But I hear you saying he has tried to set limits and boundaries, but that hasn't worked. So, sounds like he may need to take some other steps, or just blow it off when they say things like this.

In terms of other steps, with something like Facebook, for instance, a lot of people aren't FB friends with their parents, and he doesn't have to be with his. He can either try setting a limit by asking them not to go there or give feedback or just remove them as friends.

He can also make clear to his parents that only he can terminate his relationships, especially now that he is a legal adult.

That all said, have you ever had an earnest talk with them if you have, in fact, been controlling, and told them about the changes you have made and how you have made them? You don't have to do any of that, but it sounds like this matters a lot to you, so that might be another things to try and attempt to have a better relationship with them. Because if you were controlling in the past, then it's not like that's an unfounded concern, you know?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunnyside193
Neophyte
Member # 72539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunnyside193     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks this helps alot [Smile]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.