Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » dating a 'damaged' boy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dating a 'damaged' boy
Betty C.
Neophyte
Member # 39240

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Betty C.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been dating this guy for about six months and it has been great: we have great communication, respect and love for each other. We've fallen silly in love with each other and everyone around us sees that and tells us we have an amazing glow about us.
All of which I know are healthy signs.

It hasn't been easy though: he's an ex addict, coming from a troubled and abusive past, and he's got his problems, although he is one of the kindest men I've met; recently I found out he was raped by another man, whilst he was still an addict. He didn't tell me anything else and told me we could never bring it up again. The only thing I know is that he probably was half conscious and says he put himself in such a situation by being high. There seems to be a very strong sense of guilt connected to his past.
I love him so much and it breaks my heart to even think about something so horrible happening to him. The only problem is I feel like he needs counselling because he was never counselled for it and he just locked it in the back of his brain. How do I go about advising him to check in?

I feel utterly terrified of saying the wrong thing because I am scared about hurting him by bringing it up, hurting his pride and him seeing me as pushy. He's been clean for about 9 months, and recently has been drinking a lot and been worried about relapse. I have been sexually molested myself and I know how hard it can be talking about it, I just don't know how to help him in particular.

Posts: 18 | From: Europe | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, one of the toughest parts of helping someone work through something that's happened in the past is knowing that the person has to want that help and be ready to work through everything first. You can certainly let him know that you see this hurting him, and that you're concerned for him and from there suggest he maybe talk with someone. t can even be helpful to let him know you remember a time when you needed help working through your own past, and that you'll be there for him in any way you can. But ultimately the decision has to be his own.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.