Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Just Wondering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just Wondering
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned my boyfriend on here before, how he is very supportive and such a sweetheart [Smile]

But lately I've been worried. He is showing really weird signs of behavior change and personality. He seems to get angry very easily, mocks things that I say, and gives me looks as if he is annoyed by me. He has pushed me really hard a few times (ex. when I won on a video game against him he got very angry and pushed me down against the couch, then wouldnt touch or look at me for about 10min until I said sorry and hugged him). He also did the same thing when I didn't kiss him fast enough.

I love him so much, and he is so sweet! But why are these things popping up all of a sudden? They had seemed to build up but now its getting hard to bare.

I have talked to my family about this, and a few friends. They told me to talk to him, so I did and he started crying saying he is sorry and how he would try and change. I'm sticking by what he said, but what else is there for me to do? If he is still acting this way... I don't want to break up with him. But a few people said it could get worse, but something inside me says it won't.

Please help [Frown]

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Controversy, this is not a healthy dynamic. Seriously.

-Quick to anger and direct anger at you
-mocking you
-physically pushing you
-ignoring you after pushing until *you* apologised

These are really big red flags. I cannot sit here and not advise you to end this relationship. He is belittling you, manipulating you to take responsibility for his bad behaviour and physically violent.

Abusive relationships get worse over time. Without significant change, his behaviour will NOT improve, it is more likely that it will escalate.
It is not up to you to change him, it is up to you to make the right decisions for *you*. You need to be safe and this is not a safe dynamic. If he seriously wants to change this behaviour, it is best that he step away from relationships entirely and work in counselling to overcome his issues.

I think it's really good you're able to talk to your family and friends about this and i encourage you to keep that communication going. It's important that you have support from people who know what you're experiencing and are there for you to reach out to.

I also you encourage you to have a read of these articles:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/blinders_off_getting_a_good_look_at_abuse_and_assault

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/advice_from_an_abuse_survivor

Also, if you feel you need someone to talk to, there's a number here: http://www.scarleteen.com/resource/crisis/domestic_violence_abuse_hotlines

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the articles, thank you.

So you're suggesting him and I possibly take a break from the relationship?.. I did have that in mind, but im afraid to lose him. I was maybe thinking if he got worse or didn't change at all for a period of time I'd take a break so he could work on it... or should I just not wait?

Thank you for your reply

[ 04-29-2011, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Controversy ]

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Those two articles you sent me did help my thoughts a lot...

I do realize that I really do say, "he's normally sweet, he is a great guy, its just sometimes he acts like that." I know this is stupid to say but thats still in my head. I really really dont want to lose my boyfriend. I love him so much. I want to fix these things but from what I read in those articles it seems like I can't?

He even did buy me gifts one time after apologizing...

Its just really hard to have the thought of letting him go. Even if its a break. He is my first "real" boyfriend, I had a few before but they never lasted this long. I can't imagine letting him go.

I'm sorry for ranting on..

May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reading those articles. My first boyfriend was the world to me but he was abusive. It was really difficult to see it while i was him, depite feeling uncomfortable, but it became so much clearer when we were no longer together. It was a weight of anxiety lifted from my shoulders.

"I want to fix these things but from what I read in those articles it seems like I can't?"
The thing is... this isn't your problem to fix. This is something in him that he needs to actively change. You can't do that for him, he has to want it. And honestly? while you're still together he's getting a message that his behaviour isn't bad enough to make you leave, therefore he doesn't HAVE to change.

About him apologising and giving you gifts? that doesn't mean much in terms of him changing. What that is, is the cycle coming around. Abusers will be overly sweet and considerate to make up for the bad treatment, then the abusive behaviour will start again. It's a cycle. A way of making their partners think it's okay to stay longer. But things aren't really going to change until he gets help.

I know, i really know, how hard it is to think of letting go of your relationship. Leaving a partner hurts. But that hurt doesn't last. You don't need him to function, to feel happy or whole. What you need from a partner is someone who respects you and treats you with love. How can you get that from someone who pushes you when he gets angry, who acts like what you say isn't important?

I encourage you to leave this relationship and take time to care for yourself. The negativity and issues he's carrying will not just go away in a few weeks or a few months, it is going to take time and a lot of effort on his part to change how he treats his partner. And he needs to do that away from a relationship, for the well being of his partner and for the sake of him changing.

I feel like *i'm* rambling on a bit, heh. Please feel free to keep posting here, talking about how you're feeling and asking us questions. We want what's best for you and we're here to support you.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Do you think he would ever change on his own? I highly doubt he would go to any sort of counselor.. he doesn't think anything is wrong with him, when I talked to him he just said, "Thats how I am, thats how I've always been". But he wasn't like that when I first started going out with him, so I dont think thats who he is.

So you're saying he probably knows how bad he is acting..but he just wants to make sure he keeps me around? When him and I talked he did say a bunch of things. He even made it clear he knew what he had done wrong. He got extremely upset, told me how he is sorry for acting the way he acts and how he can be an a**hole, but thats how he has always been.

I did cry when I read your reply, because I really don't want to leave him, but everything you're saying clears up everything I was trying to figure out. Leaving him does seem like the logical thing to do... i'm just still scared to do so, like I said before I don't want to lose him.

Do you think its possible for me to just tell him, that him and I need a break until he figures these things out? So he won't see it as a breakup?

And noo, you weren't rambling on, everything you said is helping me greatly...thank you so much

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But he wasn't like that when I first started going out with him, so I dont think thats who he is.
Very, very few people who behave abusively start with abusive behaviors. Would that they did: more people would see it from the start and not get involved, avoiding winding up with someone abusive altogether. Instead, as MayDay explained, abusive behavior tends to increase and escalate over time.

It's also worth recognizing that for pretty much everyone, the longer someone gets to know us, the more they are seeing who we really are. Who we appear to be based on how we behave when someone first meets us is often the least accurate time to get a sense of who we are, because we all tend to put our best feet forward at first, then as we get more comfortable with someone, settle into a relationship, tend to show our stripes a lot more.

People don't tend to "change on their own" in that way, with this kind of stuff. Changing our behavior in big ways tends to take effort but also guidance as to how to do it. When people are abusive, that is often learned behaviour: to unlearn it is tougher than to learn it, and we have loads of data that shows even with help, many people can't, but without help, it's nigh unto impossible for people to change.

(The same goes, btw, for learning, as it were, to be victimized by abuse. You've made very clear in other posts that you grew up in a very abusive household. One of the "side effects" of that is that those of us who grew up with abuse can be far more inclined to abuse or to BE abused in elective relationships because we can feel, even when we know better, that abuse is normal since it's been our normal. So, it may also have been harder for you to see abuse coming from the start or to see smaller signs of it developing.)

And of course, one has to want to change. If you have the clear notion that this person doesn't think anything needs changing in how he's behaving, then I'm afraid you have a clear sign that they're not going to. To even start to make these kinds of changes, one has to be able to acknowledge they need to make them, and also has to be able to acknowledge they want to change. saying that's "just how they are" suggests they don't want to change or don't feel they can.

By all means, I think it'd be wisest and safest for you to get away from this relationship. If that needs to start with a "break," better a break than staying in it full-stop, in my book. We can't know how he'll react to that, though: I'd try and concern yourself more with your safety than with how he will feel, however. I know it's hard, especially if and when you aren't used to doing that in relationships -- putting your care and safety first -- but I'd strongly encourage you to try. You matter.

Do you want to talk about why you feel afraid to lose this person who is treating you this way? I'm assuming you're not afraid to lose what's been going on, because you're being treated poorly and made unsafe. So, what do you think it is that you ARE afraid to lose here?

(Btw, MayDay, beautiful job with this thread! What great advice and help.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I see what your saying.. I guess I will try and make an attempt to take a break from him, I just know it'll be hard for me. If/When him and I take a break, how would I be sure that he changed before him and I got back together?

I feel afraid to lose him because, he was and is my first real boyfriend... I had an amazing amount of time with him, he was so sweet and did anything for me, and still does these things, but now he is changing. I also haven't told my family and friends about all that he does, and im afraid if I breakup with him, they will think im just being weird. But I also have a part of me that doesn't want to tell them absolutely everything that he does.

I still love him so much, and im also afraid of what he would do if I left him. He always said he wouldn't know what he would do if him and I ever broke up. He said he has never loved anyone as much as he loves me.

I almost feel like its priority that I stay with him, he feels like part of my life now, and I don't know what to do. My family loves him, and my friends love him. I don't want them hating him.

He seemed like the only good thing in my life for the longest time, and now hes making me feel upset all the time. But I still have the urge to stay with him [Frown]

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I'm also scared about the fact that I have had feelings for another guy for years, but I never had a chance to be with him. and my family knows this. Im afraid they'll think im breaking up with my boyfriend for him, when in reality im not. The "other" guy had a girlfriend, and he is my best friend and I would never come in the way of that, but my family is weird.
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

If you feel comfortable, i think it may be a good idea to talk to an adult (maybe in your family) about what he's done, like the pushing. Then, if others respond weirdly when you break it off, at least you'll have some support. I do think though, that of the two: your family not being supportive of the break up or you staying with him, i think the latter is a much greater risk to your safety and well being.

"He seemed like the only good thing in my life for the longest time, and now hes making me feel upset all the time."
He is changing, he's not the person you want nor need him to be. The number one priority here is *your* well being. Do you understand? It's not your responsibility to stay with him (which is putting you at risk) just because he has insinuated that he *needs* you to survive. My abusive partner? We broke up over 2 years ago and i've still received txt messages stating he still loves me. (the lack of respect for my boundary of no contact is pretty gross). Abusive partners place a lot of emphasis on needing the partner, even to the point of threatening self harm or suicide to prevent their partner from leaving. Staying with them isn't going to help them and they will have no incentive to change their toxic behaviour.

You will not be doing him a good service by staying in the relationship. You will be placing yourself at risk of further ill treatment and abuse AND you will be enabling him to continue his abusive behaviour. He needs to not have a victim to target and manipulate, he needs to have space and time to work through these problems with a professional counsellor.

I cannot give you an answer about you being sure about him changing his behaviour and you both getting back together. In my mind, that idea of going back to my abusive partner even if he had changed, seems revolting. After being separated from him, i cannout imagine going back to a person who treated me so badly. Not only this, but there is no way i can know if he is abusive still until he had begun to abuse me. Why put myself at risk? With your boyfriend, i don't know what he'll do, but some abusers claim to be changed but really aren't. I would honestly advise you to end this relationship and not consider it an option. It will be months, more likely years, until this boy has worked through these toxic issues and is in a position to be in a relationship.

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Okay.. i'll probably talk to one of my siblings about this in more detail. And yes I understand... I just never thought i'd be in a situation like this with my boyfriend. And alright.. I'll most likely end the relationship.. and when you said it may take him years to months to change, my sister said something similiar, as like "hes still too young to change in some ways".
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here, Controversy: did you want me to reply to the answers you gave me?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

No its okay, im just still in shock about all this, I almost don't know how to break up with him. I don't know what to say to him [Frown] And thank you both for your help [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Well, first things first: consulting your guts on this, do you feel like you'd be safe breaking up with him? In other words, if you asked for a split or a break in person, and made clear that's what you're doing (whether he wants that or not), do you have any concerns or feeling he might harm you in any way?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Seeing as how he gets very angry at things quickly... im not really sure, a part of me says he wouldn't and he'd just get upset, but then another part of me says he might do something, but not anything drastic..
Heather
Member # 3

I'm of the mind that it's always best to err on the side of caution and not put yourselves at any risk of harm when we can avoid it. After all, that's also what getting away from unhealthy or abusive relationships is about in the first place, right? Plus statistically-speaking, people who are abusive are actually often at their most dangerous when the people they are abusing are leaving. So, let's keep you safe, okay?

How do you feel about telling just one person close to you -- ideally someone like a family member or housemate -- about what's been going on? Then you can also tell them about how you're planning to leave, and make a plan that assures your safety.

If you don't feel 100% that you'd be safe splitting from this person, then it's safer to do a split with a letter, phone call, or webcam: something where you don't have to be in person, and where you can be already in a safe place when you do split. I know those aren't ideal ways to split per sensitivity, but sensitivity becomes secondary when anyone's safety is at risk.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I think i might be able to tell one of my family members, but im sure either way...if i tell someone or not, my siblings wouldn't let me be in a dangerous situation if i were to break up, im sure one of them would probably want to be there with me.. i would feel better to tell a friend about everything, but i know they wouldn't be able to be there for me if i needed them during the breakup.

Is it also okay if i give it sometime to breakup..? I know when i tell one of my siblings i'll need a lot of courage, so it may take me a bit of time..

Heather
Member # 3

I want to be very real with you: it does tend to take people in unhealthy or abusive relationships longer to leave than folks in healthy ones a lot of the time, largely because of the abuse cycle and because of valid fears about leaving. Let's also make sure we make room for the fact that leaving things, for anyone, is sometimes hard.

So, what I'd say to you is that if you're in something abusive and unsafe, ideally you want to get away from it and stay away from it as soon as possible. But if you can't do that (more an issue for people living with a partner or sharing children or finances), or don't feel able to, then at the very least, you want to do everything you can to keep yourself safe in the meantime. ideally, that'd mean not being alone with this person. If not that, then making sure you basically play by their rules until you do get out.

But again, I'd lobby hard for leaving sooner rather than later when you know or strongly suspect you're not safe, or have already been abused or attacked in any way, like you have been.

How about just starting by telling someone close to you who you know will be supportive of you and seeing where that takes you?

[ 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Okay.. i'll try and make sure I keep myself safe until I can breakup with him. I will definitely tell someone..I have a few people in mind that I know wouldn't judge me, they would try and support.. [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Okay. Thinking safe, healthy thoughts and wishes for you, as well as a wish for courage and self-care in telling someone so you can be safer and healthier.

[ 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I had enough courage to talk to my family... they all advised me to break up with him, but i just don't know when or how. Should I call him and tell him over the phone... or have him come over to my house and tell him here, but wouldn't that be dangerous for him? If he has to drive home?
Heather
Member # 3

I don't see splitting in your home as dangerous to him, but I don't think it sounds so safe for you.

I'm so glad you were able to tell someone who cared about you what's been going on. That's a huge step, and I hope you feel good about yourself for taking care of you so well.

I'd advise splitting with someone who has physically harmed you in ways that are not in person: the phone, webcam/Skype, a letter. You can also consult with your family about this, too.

Hang in there, you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I do feel kinda good about myself.. [Smile] but I still wish I didn't have to leave him

And okay.. i'll talk to my siblings about how to break up with him today, im sure they'll be able to help.. [Smile]

Thank you so much for everything you helped me with so far, I don't think I would have said anything to my family if it wasn't for you and mayday, thank you

Heather
Member # 3

You're so, so welcome. We want for each of you to have the happiest, healthiest lives you can, so doing what we can to help people avoid or get away from anyone doing them harm at all is so very important.

I know that even when a relationship is bad news, that doesn't mean leaving it is easy. But one thing you might want to focus on is that doing that opens your life up to the possibility of healthy relationships that are actually good and are actually safe, and that all feels a LOT better than the alternative. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Yes.. [Smile] I realize that now, like you said in previous posts, how I should focus on my well being, not just his. Its what my family said too. I really can't thank you enough. Once I go through with the breakup i'll put a little update to tell you how things went.. [Smile]
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Good luck! I'm thinking of you!
MissMomo
Neophyte
Member # 65400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissMomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read this. Good luck, Controversy! I'm thinking of you too!
Posts: 7 | From: Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Hi there..

I'm just coming back and giving an update like i promised. Well today was the official break up of my boyfriend and I. We really talked about things, and i brought up the issue of how hes been treating me. when i first posted this i gave it one more month to see if things got beter and it only got worse. So my family stepped in and helped me end the relationship.

We did come to the conclusion that if he somehow got some help, to get over his anger issues and so on. That there may be a small chance of us getting back together, but only if he proves he has changed...

So i guess the breakup went pretty well.. it went better than i expected, but i think only because i had the help of my family, and all of your support on here! Thank you so much

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So happy for you, Controvery, so glad it went well [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.