Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Boyfriend's fantasy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriend's fantasy
timtam
Neophyte
Member # 36972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timtam         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for 2 months. We were introduced by our parents (as odd as that sounds) and we have lot of things in common, including our cultural background. Even though we havenít been seeing each other that long, and the long distance thing is a real bummer, we both feel like this relationship has the potential to turn into a lifelong commitment.

Heís coming to visit me next weekend, and Iím assuming weíll have sex for our first time. I have somewhat more sexual experience than him, and while he found that confronting at first, we have been open in our communication and have managed to put that issue to bed.

Iíve recently become aware of another issue. While talking about what weíll get up to next weekend, he mentioned that heíd like me to wear cultural dress for our first time, because he fantasises about this a lot. Normally, this wouldnít be an issue, but I donít feel that it is representative of me holistically (it only represents one facet of me as an individual) and I donít want to be reduced to this one thing.

I think part of the reason Iím feeling like this is because my ex-boyfriend dumped me for someone of the same cultural background as him, and he was quite open about the reason. My current boyfriend has also been quite open about the fact that he loves that we have our cultural background in common. Given my past relationship, Iím wary of feeling like that is the only reason why he is with me. I also feel like our first time should be more about exploring and getting to know each other as we are (although Iím quite happy to dress up further down the track). My boyfriend thinks Iím being unreasonable. Am I?

Posts: 19 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He thinks you're being unreasonable about.... not dressing the way he wants you to, but that you're (validly) uncomfortable with?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think that you are being unreasonable at all. And the fact that he thinks that you are being unreasonable concerns me.

I hear you saying that the first time you two have sex you want it to be about discovering each other and that is totally fine.

You have also indicated to him that you are willing to fulfill his fantasy by dressing up later on in the relationship, just not the first time you're together, and I think that he should respect that.

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinclair66
Neophyte
Member # 49766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinclair66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be careful. Maybe you guys should hold off on having sex for a little while, sex isnt the only way to discover eachother. You never know if cultural background is his reason for liking you. you have only been together for two months and you still have alot of discovering to do.

but NO you are not being unreasonable at all. never do anything that you are uncomfertable doing, if he loves and respects you he will respect your boundries.

--------------------
sinclair66

Posts: 19 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adiemus
Neophyte
Member # 50403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adiemus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you explain to him your reasons? Because if so, there's no reason he should think of it as unreasonable...otherwise, it should help.

--------------------
the sharpest lives are the deadliest to lead

Posts: 26 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.