Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Religious Differences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religious Differences
LittleLady23
Neophyte
Member # 45474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLady23         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering dating a boy in my class. He's really funny and sweet and a perfect gentleman, not to mention the fact that he's clearly interested in me as well. But here's the catch: he's Mormon and I'm Non-religious/Atheist.
What I want to know is whether or not this will cause a problem if we were to start dating, or if this would cause him to lose interest all together.

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this something the two of you have been able to talk about?

Interfaith relationships sometimes work, and other times don't. (And perhaps obviously, sometimes interfaith relationships don't work for reasons that have nothing to do with anyone's religious beliefs.)

Usually if they work, it's because both people can a) respect the others beliefs and b) whatever those beliefs are and how they are enacted can still fit/work with both people, without either feeling like they're going outside their own beliefs or not getting what they need per relationships and those beliefs.

[ 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm sort of a little down the road from where you are now! Similar faiths, too.

I'm baptized Catholic, but my faith is a little more atheist/agnostic and my boyfriend was formerly LDS(aka Mormon). I also have a friend who is non-religious and his (ex?)girlfriend is LDS.

Just like Heather said, the relationship can easily not work out due to NON-faith related reasons, as per my two friends I meantioned.

And it can work out just fine without many problems.

It all depends on the people that you two are.

If he's very religious and you have no desire to convert, there are bound to be some problems due to the LDS faith's custom on dating/marriage.

However, if you're both able to be tolerant of each other (and that doesn't mean "agree with") things can go swimmingly.

Not gonna lie, Fig and I have had problems with our religious differences before and occasionally we have a spat about it. It happens.

So, sure... if you want to go for it, go for it. But I also suggest talking to HIM about it, and seeing if HE thinks it's a problem.

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.