Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Long distance relationship??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long distance relationship??
Smiler
Neophyte
Member # 48185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far would you take a long distance relationship to stay with the one you love?

I live near newcastle and she lives in wales? too far??

We've been dead close for ages and talk all the time, i dont know what id do without her. She feels the same and we look forward to seeing each other. It can sometime be awhile before i see her again, but when i do its all worth it - its like my heart skips a beat. I really do love her and think about her all the time, but is it worth it?

Opinions??

--------------------
Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Its Up To You To Find It :)

Posts: 27 | From: Washington UK | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that tends to be really individual and very much base on the relationship and the people in it.

I had a relationship in college where for a year of it, we were living on different continents entirely, but it's not something I'd so with every relationship, or would find workable for every relationship.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67072 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on the person....most people can't do it, but some people can. You have to sit down though and think if only seeing her once a _____ would be okay with you. I know now with video chat and all it is much easier then when my parents did it for a year back during the crusades [Wink] . But you also have to factor in will not having the physical contact bother you as well. If you think all these things through and it still sounds good, then i say carpe diem,and go for it my friend! Make sure you make time to chat on the phone,and see each other when you can,because as humans this daily contact is important to us.

[ 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: lucidkitty ]

Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yakri
Activist
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in one long distance relationship so far (one so far period tbh), and although the long distance part sucked, I would do it again.

It depends on the people, for sure, and it definitely sucks, but if you care about the person enough, it's worth it.

It's a lot of work, and I hope I never have to deal with a long distance relationship again, but if I fell in love with someone who didn't live near me again, I'd still do it.

Fortunately, there are only three real distances anymore these days: walking distance, driving distance, and flying distance. Not to mention the internet.

Oh, but your original question was, "How far would you take a long distance relationship[?] . . . "

I would take it as far as me and my partner wanted to go with it, I would try not to let that stop us from having a relationship. I really wouldn't want to lose a relationship with a person I care about in that way because of something like distance. Of course, that's just how I think.

erm, to put that in perspective for you, my thoughts on such a problem are something like, "ha! Why should I let some pathetic obstacle like 'distance' beat me!? I'll show distance who is really boss here!"

So it fits rather well into my personality not to be moved by things like that. It might not be that way for everyone though.

Um, yeah, I hope that helped you in some way, good luck. ^_^ I hope things work out for you.

--------------------
Chin up and face the future, wonders beyond your wildest dreams await us!

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Confused One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think Newcastle and Wales is too far, then mine is like an infinity [Razz]

I'm in Malaysia (South East Asia) and he's in Wales (coincidence? lol). We've been chatting for nearly a year now and although we have had some arguments, I must say that things are still going good. Actually, if we didn't have arguments, then theres something wrong lol. All you need to do is be strong and persistent. If you two have plans on meeting up and staying together one day, then by all means, don't give up unless it really couldn't work out. Sometimes, 'the one' is on the other side of the world and not where you currently are. Which is why when people tell me online LDRs just don't work, I don't fully agree. It can and has happened and that gives me hope with this guy <3

I wish you good luck with her [Smile]

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Posts: 131 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DreamCatches
Neophyte
Member # 48877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DreamCatches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think distance matters nearly as much as people make it out to be. But everyone is different. All my relationships have been long distance. It was very hard for me because while I was invested in the relationships, they weren't. I think you have to be very honest about these relationships before you consider them though, like is this going to be a temporary long distance (like eventually you are planning on living in the same area or living together, or in my case, I was gone for college, but came back for summers) or is this going to be a very long term thing (I know there are committed couples that live half way around the world from each other and don't intend to ever live with or around each other and they make it work <3 ).

I wouldn't mind another long distance relationship as long as it's a healthy and with a person who can handle one. I would take it as long as possible. But I will say that personally, I would need to see a future with this person; I would need to know that we were somewhat planning on not being long dis forever.

--------------------
Think of me, when you're out, when you're out there...

Posts: 34 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
milewaddraben
Neophyte
Member # 49783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for milewaddraben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends. My boyfriend of two years is only 40 minutes away and its killing me.
Posts: 5 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.