Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Not ready for love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not ready for love
lilystar87
Neophyte
Member # 49225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilystar87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres the story. I recently had been dating a guy for 3 years. It wasn't going anywhere and i wasn't happy so i broke it off. Well, during those years of my relationship, a guy from work liked me. I knew this but i figured nothing would ever happen. so we just became friends.

After my breakup i needed a friend, so we hung out, one thing led to another and we became intimate. He wants a relationship and i just got out of one. I am totally not ready for this, and i feel selfish for what i have done to him. i was vulnerable and i needed someone, and he was there. i sound like a jerk but i like him too. just not ready for a full blown relationship. What should i do?

Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing you really can do (for yourself and for him) is be honest with him.

There's no need to feel bad, these things happen all the time, but now that you are aware that you do not want a relationship with this person in the same way he does, it is best to tell him that.

I know it sounds simple, but in this case honesty is the best policy.

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilystar87:
I am totally not ready for this, and i feel selfish for what i have done to him.

Can I just say, you didn't do anything to him. The fact that you two got intimate (which I have to say was on both your parts, and really you might have been a bit vulnerable because of the break up) and that he wants to be in a relationship with you isn't anything you did to him. You aren't selfish.

This is perfectly logical and actually quite smart of you to want to hold off until you're ready for a relationship. It's healthy that you can recognize that you are not prepared for it. You just need to tell him that you aren't ready, and he should understand since you've become close and I'm sure told him all about your last relationship.

You might also want to tell him that this is a time of healing for you and the best thing he can do is just be your friend (the way you had intended) and not pressure you into jumping into another relationship until you're in a place that you can actually be completely in it and comfortable. If you get into a relationship before that it wont be half as worthwhile as if you had waiting til you were ready.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.