Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My family thinks Antoine Dodson is funny...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My family thinks Antoine Dodson is funny...
Natalie H
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I can't get over how depressing this is.

Ok, so a few weeks ago you guys may or may not have seen my post about Kelly Dodson, the rape survivor. What it comes down to is I'm disgusted that people can be laughing when there is a serious issue: a girl almost getting rapes. And worse, that other women in that apartment complex DID get raped. An attacker is on the loose, or was anyway, and the police did nothing about it.

This is the article I read that connected me to the whole situation:

Anyway, this really offended me, this whole thing. And today my sister, A, who I am very close to, posted the video on Facebook for R (her fiance) and his co workers to see. I was confused, because I always pegged her to be a thinker like me, so essentially here's the conversation that ensued:

Me: Did you post this because you actually find this FUNNY or because you're concerned that a girl was almost raped?

A: Because it's just funny enough. And R likes it.

Me: I don't think it's funny that a girl was almost raped. And that multiple women in that complex WERE raped. And the police don't give a shit. I expected better from you, A.

R: Multiple women weren't raped dude, this is the only girl in the complex who it happened to and the police were doing something, they gathered up all that evidence and crap. Why are you getting all defensive about it and exaggerating what's in the video..? The situation isn't funny, it's funny they let that ghetto dude talk all that smack on TV.

Me: That's not what happened. I wrote a note about this weeks ago and there's a link on it. GO READ IT.

R: This fool is famous now because of this video, he acted like that on purpose to get attention to what happened to his sister:;

This is the actual newreport from Huntsville from the news place that did the original story:; She was the only victim and they DID investigate it.

After this I went and told my roommates about the whole thing, trying to vent out my anger and have someone agree with me that they're in the wrong, only to have one argue that because of that video the Dodson's made a lot of money (something I knew before, but still don't consider justification for people laughing at the situation) and then even saying she thought it was hilarious, which was NOT what I wanted to hear.

Anyway, at that point I was just feeling utterly disgusted with my two favorite people in the world, people that I thought WOULDN'T turn this situation into a joke, or at least people that would understand why it upsets me so much. Not to mention the rest of my family (my roommates) that don't give a crap either.

I don't know what to do. This whole thing with Kelly has me so rattled up, and I don't know if I should fight for it or not, or even in the info me or they have is correct.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Does anyone have the correct articles? Does anyone know the latest? Everything I know about it I pretty much got from the first link, and I admit I don't know how accurate all that info is. I just wanna know what's actually going on, and if the things I'm arguing are even true or not. And if what I think is true IS TRUE, then how do I tell my family how I feel and try to communicate how much this bothers me? I just wanna cry and cry about it, and I don't know how to fight for the things I think are right and that I'm passionate about.

Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Natalie,

I understood your frustration, i've found the chain reaction that followed Antoine's press coverage very disturbing. Obviously, a large part of the problem is that in concentrating on this man, the press and the various online have rendered Kelly, the victim, invisible. That's not okay. What you haven't mentioned but probably recognise is the language used to describe and mock Antoine has been racist and very classist. While i dislike that the story has focused on his involvement, rather than addressing the trauma Kelly's experienced, the way people are treating him standing out is frankly disgusting.

I don't know if we're allowed to link outside content here for safety reasons, etc, but if you're interested you should check out Shakesville and Feministe for their critiques of the issues here (as well as citing their sources;)

Really though.. all the counter arguments your family are presenting? do they really negate the problematic issues involved in broadcasting this story? I'd say no. This story is indicative of lots of institutionalised bigotry relating to rape culture, patriachy, race and class.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the same way about Kelly! My biggest concern was that no one recognized her as a victim, just a secondary character to Antoine. I can't imagine how she must feel about this whole thing.

Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.