Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Break-Up Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Break-Up Books
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a pretty popular thread for songs to listen to during/after a break-up, but I wanted to have a thread for break-up books since there are times when I've found that a book can be more helpful than a song or a movie. Sometimes books can bring you out of the misery and help you look at the situation from a different perspective, or at least entertain you for longer than a song or a movie.

My all-time favorite book to read during/after a break-up is Love in the Time of Cholera, if for no other reason than it's great writing and at least I didn't wait for the guy for a few decades. Close behind is Like Water for Chocolate, also for the great writing, and because I love to cook, and, as crappy as the break-up might be, it's nowhere near as bad as what Tita has to go through. I've started reading High Fidelity (yes, the novel that the movie is based off), and I'm falling for it pretty hard. I always liked the movie (it's in my Top Ten Movie List) and the book is pretty good and has some interesting stuff about break-ups and sex in it.

Anyone have some good break-up books or short stories they want to share?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elle689
Neophyte
Member # 44782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elle689     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My all time favourite breakup book is 'It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken' by Greg Behrendt and Amiira Routola-Behrendt. Greg Co-authored 'He's Just Not That Into You', the one the movie was based off of.

'It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken' takes you through every stage of how you may be feeling, and helps you work through those feelings in order to accept what's happen, move on and be the best you that you can be. It also includes statistics, funny stories, stories of people that have most likely been through MUCH worse breakups then yourself, and personal stories from the authors themselves.

It's written in such a way that it's sympathetic but at the same time comical, and allows you to realise that this isn't the end of the world, and that even greater possibilities lie ahead [Smile]

Posts: 29 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.