Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Good or Bad Idea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good or Bad Idea?
loveyoumake
Activist
Member # 41194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveyoumake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I kind of have a general question. I'm taking a human sexuality class right now and we're talking about self disclosure in relationships. Do you think it is a good or bad idea to talk about past relationships with a current partner? I know that it is a good idea to talk to your partner about what you both like sexually so you can better your relationship together, and that it is also a good idea for you and your partner to talk about STD's and things of that sort.. but what do you think about talking about past relationships? Is it too much and something that your partner doesn't need to know?

Thanks for any insight.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever even just dated someone who didn't talk about their past relationships. That talk usually comes up even in the first few dates, and if it doesn't, then I tend to ask as part of getting to know the person. It's a part of who you are and it affects all future relationships and interpersonal communications. To be honest, I'd be a little concerned if someone didn't talk about past relationships (unless, of course, they've never had any). It's also a good way to gauge what kind of person they are based on how they talk about exes. So, is it a good idea? I think so, because past relationships are always going to have some impact.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveyoumake
Activist
Member # 41194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveyoumake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Orca! Yes, this is what I think too, but people in my class have opposing views (and that's ok) and think that you should never talk about past experiences with a partner because it can make the person you're with now jealous. But yet you chose to be with the person you're with now, not your ex, right? Thank you for your input [Smile]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's definitely important to share info on past relationships with your partner, because it's another way to get to know each other, apart from spending time doing activities and the like. Communication is essential in a relationship, I believe, and if your partner is someone you see yourself with for a long time, then there's nothing to hide. I'd say it's better to let them know from the beginning, so that there are no surprises later on in the relationship. =)
Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you should never talk about past experiences with a partner because it can make the person you're with now jealous.
I hope someone in your class, ideally your prof, talked about how jealously isn't something someone else can create in another person at all: how that's about THAT person's own feelings and issues, not about how someone else's words might trigger those feelings.

In a healthy relationship, we should be able -- with healthy boundaries and some etiquette -- to talk about our sexual history with partners. If that's a total no-no, that can be a signal we're not in a healthy relationship or not with an emotionally healthy person.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveyoumake
Activist
Member # 41194

I completely agree with you Heather. Jealousy isn't something that you make happen, but rather that's how the other person is feeling.

I don't feel like there is ever something that you shouldn't be able to talk about with your partner. Communication is so key in a relationship. If we can't talk to our partner, then who can we really talk to?

Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. My most serious boyfriend and I could talk about EVERYTHING. I would ask him about his past experiences - I'm a very curious person and kinda wanted to know as much as I could - and I felt comfortable sharing any of mine with him. Unfortunately, I took this comfortability into my next relationship which was with a guy who was not so happy to listen. He was bothered when I even told an anecdote that included my ex-boyfriend - even if it was a totally platonic story! It really bothered me. It's difficult and frustrating for me to be with someone who I have to be careful what I say around.
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.