Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » "I need some space"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I need some space"
YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YourLadyship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone can help me out?

Last night I said the dreaded words to my boyfriend that I love more than anything. "I need some space." Now, it wasn't in the context that I want him away from me for good. I said it because we've literally spend the last 3 weeks together seeing each other EVERY DAY. I told him I didn't want us to get sick of each other and take each other for granted. This all started because I was so tired when I got off work last night, so I was in b*tch-mode. I wanted to go to bed alone and didn't want to entertain anybody. He felt sad, but I told him the reason was that I don't want us to tire of each other and I want our relationship to still have mystery in it. It hurt his feelings. What can I say to help him? What can I do? Was I in the wrong?

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Posts: 61 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I think it's completely reasonable of you to want some time to yourself; it's generally healthier in a relationship to have some time with your partner(s), some time with friends and family, and some time on your own. If you're feeling a bit suffocated by being with him a lot, voicing that to him is the right thing to do - part of being in a healthy relationship is being able to talk about how you're feeling, even when it might not be easy.

It's a shame that he felt hurt, but you haven't done anything wrong; perhaps you could explain to him that it isn't personal, that you just need time to yourself sometimes? (It would probably be healthier for him to have time to himself too.)

Hope this helps.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YourLadyship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input! I just told him I didn't want us to start to get comfortable and get sick of each other. I love spending time with him, but I like my alone time too. I really hope he understands. I love him and plan to marry him one day.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Posts: 61 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.