Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What is love?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is love?
sarahshasu
Neophyte
Member # 45938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahshasu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys and girls, as a teenager I'm confused and new at this love thing.

I think I'm in love because that's the only word I have to describe it but people keep telling me I don't know what love is because I'm to young.

Sometimes I wish people would just tell me what it is and let me decide for myself if it's love or not.

So can some seasoned advisers tell me what love is?

Thanks in advance for the help.

[ 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

Posts: 2 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have the perfect article for you, Sarah:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/boyfriend/love_letter

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahshasu
Neophyte
Member # 45938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahshasu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

[ 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

Posts: 2 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey sarahshasu, I had to edit out your signature because we don't allow advertisements like that, especially ones for 18+ sites. Please change your signature to something more appropriate for the site. Thanks.)

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronlak111
Neophyte
Member # 46402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronlak111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love is not a matter of discussion, it is the matter of feelings. I think that if any one fall in love then he/she can be possasive for his/her partner. And this is the love. You don't like without me the partner and feel uneasy in absence of partner, this could be the LOVE.

--------------------
Rons

Posts: 31 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Relic
Neophyte
Member # 45640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Relic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a difficult question since it is kind of like saying "Describe the color blue to a blind man." How can you do that to someone who can't see? Usually you can use things the blind man already knows, like water, to help describe the thing he doesn't.

Luckily, most people have felt some sort of love in their lives and romantic love (which is what I assume you are talking about) is just another genre of that.

"Love" is just a word used to cram all the emotions and feelings into a nice and easy to manage package but really it is usually comprised of lots of different things. If love was so simple I doubt there would be so many songs, movies, books, and other media trying to explain it (and it would be difficult for all those people if 'love' wasn't condensed. Imagine if the Beatles wrote "Respect-Laughter-Compassion-Attraction-And-Comfort Is All You Need" Not quite as catchy)

Like the others said, Love is something each person has to define for themselves and it is a combination of many differnt emotions and feelings. But if you are asking for my opinion I may as well give it to you (If you aren't I'm going to give it you anyway).

To me love has mutual: respect, compassion, interests (or respect of differing interests), goals in life, comfort with the other person, understanding of eachother, urge to be together (Perhaps this is one of the most important aspects)

Now the above really applys to all forms of love, husband-wife, mother-daughter, friend-friend, the list goes on and on. For romantic love I feel that perhaps it is just a bit more intensified. For me I would add onto that: constant laughter when we are together, an urge to smile whenever we look at the other, and always having the other persons back. (Of course attraction is important to but it's not the most important)

Again this is just my own opinion but I felt that people were being too vague when you wanted a concrete answer, the problem is that love is not concrete and when you feel it you will know. So take what you would like from my post and add whatever you think is important. I hope this helps you form your own definition of love. Good luck

Posts: 27 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.