Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Break Before Friends?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Break Before Friends?
EC
Activist
Member # 43338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering why conventional wisdom says to cut off contact with an ex before considering the possibility of a friendship with them.

Common reasons I’ve heard include:
- need “emotional space”
- need to have time to grieve
- adds confusion (“where do we stand?”)
- too hard not to fall back into a romantic relationship
- will hurt even more when one person enters a new relationship

I am confused because nearly everyone offers this advice, but the reasons given are vague. Why is this recommended for every situation? Aren’t relationships too complex for advice like this to be prescribed for everyone, whether they are exiting a two-week-long relationship, or a 20-year marriage?

If someone is important to you but the particular type of relationship needs to change, then isn’t avoiding all contact overly dramatic? If any type of relationship isn’t meant to be, then wouldn’t it still make more sense to let it fade gradually and evolve naturally? In certain circumstances, of course, it may be best (i.e. if there was abuse). But if two people are on the “same page” with each other, what is wrong with changing the nature of and reducing contact, without avoiding them all together?

I heard similar advice regarding starting college. They say you shouldn’t visit home for a good few weeks so you make the adjustment, avoid homesickness, and aren’t too reliant on home support systems. But when I started out, I went home every week, then every two weeks, and now—a year-and-a-half later—I’m here for about a month at a time (and it seemed to work well that way).

I'm not experienced with this. And maybe I'm way off. But just trying to understand the logic and question "common sense."

How do you feel about this issue? Agree/disagree? Reasons? Personal experiences regarding one way or the other?

Posts: 44 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To boil it down to the barest basics, it has to do with the fact that people can tend to get into patterns very easily and it can be tough for us to change them if all the circumstances around them don't change.

No, I don't think this needs to happen in every situation or does happen. Certainly, some people's breakups are also such that a relationship already HAS shifted into a platonic friendship by the time a breakup happens, too.

But this also has something to do with re-establishing lives as single or on our own. That can be tough to do if we're still basically living it the same way as when we were not. And a lot of people simply WANT that space: often, if they wanted to still be that close to someone or see them daily, they wouldn't have broken up in the first place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EC
Activist
Member # 43338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Heather. I appreciate your insight and honesty.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this issue?

Posts: 44 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.