Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Creeper where I work.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Creeper where I work.
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at the local mall in my town. I started working there in high school and now four years later, I'm still there. One of the janitors there [we'll call him Joe] always struck me as kind of creepy. He was one of those guys that would stare a little too long or ask question that were a little too personal. I just shoved him off as being some creep to avoid. I work in the drug store there, but for a brief period before they went out of business I worked a children's toy/science store. One of the girls that I worked with was 15 or 16 and very sexually bold. Knowing that he was attracted to younger girls, she played it off of him and led him on. It always worried me that she would go too far and get herself hurt. She's now in the adult entertainment business and he still talks about her from time to time [about how much she -wanted- him and so forth, although she was just making fun of him basically].

Fast foward about two years and now I'm working back at the drug store. Joe is still there [he
's been employeed almost 25 years, I'd say] and he makes all the younger girls that work part time in the mall verrrry uncomfortable. My best friend [who is my age] works at the kiosk in the mall and is currently way at college. So the kiosk workers are all high school girls between the ages of 15 and 17. At night [closing is 9pm] they have to walk down the back of the mall and throw out the trash/lock stuff up in the maintence section [where of course Joe is]. Next to this enterance is a pay phone. Several months ago this phone started to ring everytime they would walk by and on answering it a man would ask their name or sometimes just breathe overly heavy [think those Scream movies]. Other times he would go on about how lonely he was and how he needed them and so forth. Understandably this made all the girls VERY nervous and fearful. When promted if they knew the voice, they told my friend that it kinda sounded like the janitor [he has a very distinct voice]. This was never brought to the malls attention because of lack of proof and no one wanted to make trouble, I guess.

Several months passed, and honestly, I didn't know if this was still going on.

So last night, my boyfriend & I were walking into the mall at the last minute to grab something. We used to back enterance and the pay phone started ringing. Already angry over this I decided to answer it. When he said "Hello? What's your name?" I knew it was Joe. It was his voice. So I just humored him "Hey! Joe, you know what my name is? What's up? Who are ya calling for?" He just stuttered..."Whut?....Whut?" So I continued, "What? Did you expect the pretty little kiosk girls? Stop being such a creeper." And I hung up.

When we were leaving he and one of the security gaurds were standing outside talking. By this point I was livid. Who the hell is he to make these girls so fearful to close up at their JOB? So I sort of freaked out on him and told him to stop it. He came back at me with some things, trying to brush it off like he hadn't a clue what I was talking about and I basically told him to stop being a peder-***.

So now I'm sort of regretting it. I shouldn't have flew off the handle. I just don't know what to do. And I'm osrt of scared to go to work now. Everyone I've told is all "Why would you do that? He's probably going to come in and shoot up the drug store!" I don't think he would be that dangerous. But I really don't know.

Any advice would be welcomed? Should I apologize to him or what should I do?

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smellycheesebot
Neophyte
Member # 44126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smellycheesebot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should talk to mall security, along with all the other girls he's made feel uncomfortable. I'm surprised it sounds like nobody has yet...
Posts: 27 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, that's what I was thinking, too. On Friday I plan on talking to all the girls in the mall that have mentioned him being inappropriate and seeing if they'll back me up on it. I'm just afraid of what will happen if we do report him. I'm afraid that either nothing will be done or something will be done [like him being fired?] and he'll, of course, blame me. Not that I care if he's MAD at me, just what he may do if he is mad at me. If that makes any sense, haha.
Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.