Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Jealousy issues?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jealousy issues?
AJ1314
Neophyte
Member # 43598

Icon 11 posted      Profile for AJ1314         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going out with my boyfriend for more than 9 months now and I know that he is fairly good friends with his ex girlfriend. They hang out a lot but it's always also with other people. I don't know what's wrong with me, I think I have major jealous issues or something but whenever they go out or if I even know that they're talking to each other on facebook or msn, I always get this really uneasy feeling in my gut. It's not only when he talks to his ex, it's also whenever he talks to other girls. Any other girl.
I do trust him, and I know he would never cheat or anything. But I'm just scared that he mights start to develop feelings for any of those other girls. I know he would never intentionally cheat but, you can't help who you fall in love with, right?
Maybe I'm just overly possessive or something. Anyone know what I can do?

[ 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: AJ1314 ]

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have the three of you ever hung out?

When we're seeing someone, we usually spend time with their friends, even friends who used to be partners or someone they dated. have you all been able to do that yet?

If not, I'd suggest starting there. If you have your own relationship with her, and can see clearly that they are friends, it should help.

You might also want to realize that you're right, any of us -- including you -- can have feelings for other people. In fact, it's very uncommon for anyone to ONLY be attracted to one person in the whole world. But our feelings are not the same as our actions, and a partner being isolated from people they might have or have had feelings for isn't healthy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, have you talked to him about it? I pretty much know where you're coming from. I struggle with my own self esteem issues and jealousy regarding my own partner. I've noticed that if I let it fester, a whole array of situations start to boggle my mind, like "Oh, man, I wonder what they're doing. Is 'something' going on...Am I being compared to her?" You know, those sorts of things. =] But if instead I talk to him [non-catty and non accusingly] and explain that I'm feeling insecure and struggling with some of my own issues reagarding this, it really helps. Not only to talk about it, but to be reassured that everything is okay. =] Heathers advice about accepting that levels of attraction with other people are completely normal, but by no means have to MEAN anything and developing a seperate relationship with the person you may feel jealousy towards really does help. =] Good luck.
Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.