Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My first love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first love
AntoinetteElaine
Neophyte
Member # 43112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntoinetteElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I never thought I'd fall in love in high school, but I have. I'm a (mostly) straight female, almost 18, and I'll be a senior in the fall. The boy I love is also 18, but he's moving away to college soon. Once he's gone, I probably won't get many opportunities at all to talk to him. I'm hoping to see him some before he leaves, but I have no idea how to deal with my feelings. Should I just try to accept that he's moving away and get over him? I don't know if that's even possible right now, considering how strongly I feel about him. Or should I tell him how I feel? I figure even if it's totally embarassing for me, it would be really flattering for him. I mean, I would be thrilled to have someone declare their love for me. And besides, a long distance relationship isn't a total impossibility, right? Yeah, I know, I'm just kidding myself. Anyway, he's all I can think about and he really is the perfect guy. He's the first guy I've liked for his personality and character instead of his looks. I know it sounds so immature and teenagerish, but he means so much to me and it kills me that he doesn't know how I feel. What should I do? Thanks!
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTasteOfPurple
Activist
Member # 43186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheTasteOfPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like even if he turns out not to reciprocate your feelings, you'd want to have some sense of closure. Am I right? And the worst that can happen to you is a bruised ego; if he is worth liking for his personality and character, it sounds to me like he'd be nice about it at the very least.
I'm getting the feeling from this post that whatever his reaction is to you telling him, you're mature enough to handle the consequences. I would say go for it! As Sidney J. Harris said, "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."

--------------------
Julia

The highest result of education is tolerance. -Helen Keller

Posts: 50 | From: Halfway down the California coast | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTasteOfPurple
Activist
Member # 43186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheTasteOfPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! Sorry for the double-post. I'm still a neophyte, I guess!

[ 07-30-2009, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: TheTasteOfPurple ]

--------------------
Julia

The highest result of education is tolerance. -Helen Keller

Posts: 50 | From: Halfway down the California coast | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to help, but I just wanted to say don't put yourself down, it can be really difficult telling someone how you feel about them, I'm 20 and I'm dealing with a similar situation (I have strong feelings for someone and I don't know how/whether to tell them, in my case they aren't going away though), teenagers go through this stuff, older adults do too, and while maybe it gets easier for some people with age, there's nothing wrong with being nervous about telling somebody you love them. There's no such thing as being teenagerish, you're you, and your feelings are as real as those of someone twice your age. If the person you want to tell is as nice as you say, then I'm sure they won't make fun of you, and if you are good friends anyway, then I'm sure that won't be messed up by you being honest about your feelings for them.

[ 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntoinetteElaine
Neophyte
Member # 43112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntoinetteElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I think I always knew what I was going to do even before I posted the first time, but I needed some encouragement first. I'm not the kind of person who would ever forgive myself for not going for broke. I had thought about asking my friends or sister for advice, but I knew what they would all say, and I knew I wouldn't like their answers. So, thank you again for expressing that there is some merit in my choice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntoinetteElaine
Neophyte
Member # 43112

Well, I finally got the chance to see him last week. It's not that I chickened out, but I decided to not say anything about my feelings for him. We had a really great time together, and I thought/hoped that I would probably get the chance to see him again when he comes home to visit, which is all I can really ask for anyway. He later told me he wants to see me again next time he's in town, so I know I made the right decision.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.