Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Rebound Dating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebound Dating?
wyntermidnite
Activist
Member # 24641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyntermidnite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know all relationships are different, and so are the circumstances and personal healing time. Is the first person you date after getting out of a long term relationship always a 'rebound' or is it only if you haven't dealt with the issues from your last relationship?

My boyfriend of 3 years and I broke up mutually about a month ago, it was a long time in the making and I feel pretty at peace with the relationship and it's end. We got along really well, had good communication and respect for each other, we just realized that what we wanted out of life was radically different and we knew we were too incompatible to try building a life together, so we broke up. I honestly (even amazed myself) have nothing but goodwill for him and hope he does things that make him feel happy and fulfilled in his life.

I feel like I understand our relationship, how and why it worked and ended and that I can appreciate him more as a person and friend now than I did when we were together.

I have a crush on a guy I know through school, we've been in a few plays together, we talk a lot and are friends. We flirt a little bit and I really like him. I would never want to hurt him though, I'd like to try going out on some dates but I don't want to make him a rebound. Do you think if we went out he would be a rebound?

I stay in contact with my ex, and still have positive feelings for him. How do you know when you're ready to date again? Is a rebound impossible to avoid if you want to start dating again?

Posts: 70 | From: Fullerton, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of this depends on how long you already felt broken up, to put it shortly.

In other words, not everyone's breakup process is the same, even for couples in a break-up. Often, one partner is engineering, moving towards or thinking about a breakup, and kind of distancing themselves from the relationship or moving on, before another. And for a person who has been doing that process themselves and in their own heads, they'll tend to be more resolved sooner than the person in the other spot, even though the official "It's over" happened for them at the same time.

I think of rebounding as primarily what someone does when (any or all of the following):
They have just been broken up with
They have just had a breakup and are freaked about being single or being without someone's sexual or romantic interest in them; are afraid of being alone
They really have not had time and space to process what went on in a previous relationship, what worked for them, what didn't, what they want in a new one
They are trying to replace an ex

Those are the primary things that come to my mind, anyway.

I hear you saying you feel ready to date, I hear you having an awareness around rebounding, I hear you wanting to date first, not zip right into something serious at lightning-speed. I also hear you saying you feel ready to date again, which is hardly unimportant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.