Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » fame and ex-friendships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fame and ex-friendships
amelie poulain
Neophyte
Member # 30345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amelie poulain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is my first topic, and I'd love some advice on this situation I've dealing with. For about a year now, I've been struggling with the end of a friendship that was hugely important to me, and that for me bordered on a romantic relationship (particularly in terms of emotional intimacy). There are a number of factors in our growing apart, not the least of which is the fact that he has a girlfriend who's not really comfortable with the two of us being close.

Problem is, he actually landed a fairly large part in a movie last year, which just came out. I'm happy for him, but suddenly, his poster is literally all over, and my old friends talk like he's a god or something. The way people are acting is driving me crazy, and making it a million times harder to get some distance from the guy.

I know fame isn't everything, but I keep comparing myself to him, and it's wreaking havoc on my self-esteem. Any ideas on how I can get some distance from Hollywood ideals, and back into my own head? Or just thoughts about the weirdness of celebrity culture's values?

Posts: 7 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People are what they are. People talk, people say things that aren't true, people blow things out of proportion, and plenty of people need to get a serious grip on reality. I highly doubt any of this will change any time soon, if ever. With that in mind, remind yourself that you can choose to take note of things. Yes, it makes it harder that he is suddenly on billboards and posters, but that doesn't change your relationship or that fact that things didn't work out.

Time will also be an important factor, I think. Eventually (and very quickly the entertainment business) his "fame" will be past, hence the phrase "15 minutes of fame"...it's got quite a bit of truth to it.

Part of staying in your head will be pure willpower. Not everyone can act, and fewer can act well. But while it's certainly a noble profession, it's not the stick by which someone is measured, you know? Plenty of amazing, brilliant and witty people go unnoticed every day, but that doesn't make who they are or what they do any less important or amazing. [Smile]

[ 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.