Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » a bit of a birthday dilemma.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a bit of a birthday dilemma.
ragazza di verde.
Neophyte
Member # 41828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ragazza di verde.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.

So, my boyfriend & I have been together for two years. We've had a pretty good relationship, blah blah etc. We've always given each other presents for birthdays, christmases, etc. Nothing extremely extravagent, but neither of us needed diamond-encrusted items, either. It's been more of the thought than the item, because we've chosen things that we'll actually appreciate rather than typical, boyfriend-girlfriend items, & it's only on holidays that we do such things.

Anywho. My 17th birthday. It's gone and past, but here's the thing: this valentine's day, we didn't get each other anything. I at least assumed it was an unsaid aggreement, because we just wanted to make sure we were together & had a special day because that was all we wanted. However, along comes my birthday, and..nothing. I mean, I don't want to seem materialistic, because quite honestly, I could really care less. & he spent time with me on my birthday & the days surrounding it, but I never received a gift from him. It's the whole thought thing. & even more so, he said something a couple days before my birthday about how he was trying to figure out what to get me, & i reassured him that he is always good with choosing (which he is - or has been.) you know, the typical things you say to someone before their birthday - nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm just wondering..do you think it's worth mentioning? I mean, we have good communication together, I just don't know quite what to say. I know it's harder for him to get money now because he hasn't been able to get a job because of sports & his parents recently divorced, but it's a little strange he would talk about it normally, as if it were happening, and then not do anything, or at least say anything about it.

I really feel bad posting this, because I don't want to seem ungreatful for anything; I'm just not sure what to say.

Thankss guys.

Posts: 9 | From: america | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definately mention it. You don't have to demand diamond earrings or a night at the opera--but just mentioning that you would appreciate some kind of gift (hand-written love letters are seriously a wonderful gift that don't cost a thing; picnics in the park with a little surprise like your favorite soda or cheese or whatever are also nice and inexpensive) that shows some thoughtfulness. I would try to explain as politely as possible that a small gift on your birthday is nice, that he doesn't have to break bank but you would love a small token of his affections, and maybe playfully ask when he'd like to celebrate your birthday. Expecting a gift on your birthday from your boyfriend of two years is certainly not being materialistic or ungrateful [Wink]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.