Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Marriage readiness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage readiness?
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if there were any marriage readiness checklists up on these boards or site... I have been searching a bit and havne't been able to find one... I want to know if there are things I haven't thought about. I'm at that stage where I want to know if this relationship is going to lead to somewhere as we are LDR at least half the time.
Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?
Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetnvicious
Neophyte
Member # 42251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetnvicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, Smokey. I don't think that this site has any 'marriage readiness' checklists. In my opinion, you should consider quite a few things before even thinking about gettting married. From what I understand, you're in a long distance relationship, yes? It might help if you tell me a bit about your relationship. Like, how long have you two been together? How old are you? Etc...

Maybe I can help [Smile]

--------------------
quote:
"For when you stand in the present moment, you are timeless."

Posts: 3 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Hey [Smile] Well we've been good friends for ages now... have been dating about one and a half years now... our relationship is sort of long distance... nothing as hardcore as what i've heard... we see each other some weekends... and over holidays. He is about 200km away from me. We're both 20 this year... and I know it's awfully young to be thinking about something like that, I just can't help it. I'm not sure... can you put any other spins on it?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, we don't have something like that, nor do I ever see us having it. In part because not everyone can get married, even those who want to, also because for our age demographic, marriage is a huge legal agreement for people to make -- more than it is a relationship thing -- and the younger people tend to marry statistically, the more of a mess it tends to be, and also because marriage in and of itself really doesn't tell us anything about the quality or longevity of relationships anyway. There's also some feminist issues involved when it comes to the politics of what we do here.

I hear you asking if your relationship is going to lead to "somewhere." It might help you to think, really, about what you mean by that. Is it not as you'd like it now? What do you want, ideally? Where do YOU want to see it go?

[ 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Ohhh I see now. Well basically I just want to know if it's going to offer me some stability and security in the future. I know I don't really need that sort of committment right now as I live with my parents, but just to be able to know that when that changes I might be able to make him my family later on.
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Does anyone have any more thoughts on this? I really need someone to play devil's advocate with me on this idea so I can really figure out how I feel.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smokey: can you tell me what you're looking for someone to ask you? I'm happy to talk about this with you.

However, I think the crux of this lies with you and your boyfriend. have you two talked about things you want in a relationship long-term, about your hopes and goals for this relationship, about what you both want looking forward?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.