Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » why won't he ask me out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why won't he ask me out?
across the universe
Neophyte
Member # 29307

Icon 4 posted      Profile for across the universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's this wonderful guy that i've been seeing since november. kind of. let me explain.

this boy and i met through mutual friends, and the moment i saw him was like, storybook lightning bolts and fireworks chemistry. since november we've been basically acting completely like a couple. i come to his town and stay at his place for days, even a week at a time, and we cuddle, go out to eat, hold hands, sleep together (literally and figuratively) and it's absolutely splendid, really. everything about it is perfect, we have wonderful communication and a deep mutual respect, a healthy amount of competition, and excellent compatibility. [and i should probably mention that our relationship is absolutely monogamous]

the problem is, it's been four months this week since we met, and he still hasnt actually asked me out.

i know for a fact he likes me, and he knows i like him. i would ask him myself, but part of what we like about one another is we're very very confident people, and i think he would be put off by the idea of being asked out by a girl. also, his last relationship was a fairly long-term one that ended when he figured out that it only began as an attempt to make the girl's ex jealous.

what should i do?
should i ask him myself, keep waiting, or just spring for the "what are we?" talk? :/

thanks.

--------------------
xx___be beautiful.

"those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Posts: 24 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really feel like there's sparks, I would go ahead and ask him out [Smile] You did say that part of your compatibility is that you admire each other's confidence, and it takes a degree of confidence to ask someone out. However, you may want to weigh how hurt he was over his last relationship; he may not be ready for a new one just yet. And you may want to weigh how happy you would be if he prefers to keep things the way they are now.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also?

I have to say, for myself, that I personally don't see a lot of mileage in a relationship with someone who doesn't see us as equal per our gender or who might hold me, as a woman, to traditional gender roles or feel threatened by my doing something as simple as asking for something I want in the same way they would.

So, that's one of many reasons I think it's a very good thing for me to ask out whomever I want to ask out rather than waiting. If my mere question makes them uncomfortable because I'm a girl, and they then don't want to be with me, that actually saves me the trouble of winding up on a date or in a relationship that probably wouldn't have been a great one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I totally agree with you there Heather. A few of my friends' boyfriends have said to me that they would be irked if their girlfriends asked them to marry them... the only reason being that they're girls and it is supposedly meant to be the guys' role to do that part... but, I don't think that's fair at all.

Having that sort of control over a relationship simply due to gender is just not right. Well, having that sort of control over a relationship due to anything is just not right.

Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.