Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » drugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: drugs
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the entire time I have known him, my boyfriend's friend (I'll call him Steve) has been into mind-altering substances, namely marijuana and shrooms. However, I'm finding out that Steve's getting involved with harder drugs, and both my boyfriend and I are getting (more) worried about him. My boyfriend wants to talk to Steve, but doesn't know what to say. Any advice?

I'd like to add that this is someone who doesn't think/doesn't want to hear that they have a drug problem and probably doesn't realize how serious this situation could get. Steve doesn't have a great home life, and being perpetually stoned is, I think, a (not healthy) way to deal with that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated [Frown]

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey SnailShells,

How old is Steve? In addition to school and home, what other stuff does he have in his life? Are there any trusted adults you or he can go to for support?

You two are good friends to care so much; it's a really hard position to be in as a friend. I know I personally would want to offer support but also know I am not trained in the field. I would recommend setting up a situation where the three of you could do something together-- or Steve and your boyfriend-- and bringing up the subject in a non-confrontational, non-judgmental way. I'd stress telling Steve how much you really care about him, know things are really hard, but are also concerned about his well-being especially with the recent developments. Again, I'd really emphasis the part about caring, as well as that you'd be glad to help him find resources if he's interested. Another biggie is just listening. Should be interested in exploring other options, you two could, for example, attend a support meeting with him. We can look up some local resources for you if you're interested; I imagine the Bay Area offers a lot. After talking to him, even if he doesn't seem ready now, that isn't to say that he'll change his mind later, if you leave the door open without becoming pesky; as you know, it's really hard to stop because there are so many other factors at play here rather than being an easy choice for most.

Someone else with more experience and/or training can offer more specific suggestions, but those are some ideas for starters.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much, Lena [Smile] I'm not nearly as close to Steve as my boyfriend is, so I'll pass on the advice. Again, thank you so much.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty. --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.