Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Words of Wisdom... or whatever?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Words of Wisdom... or whatever?!
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents seem full of (unsolicited) advice, life philosophies, and words of wisdom. Although these sayings may often bring us to roll our eyes or restart the old debate, sometimes they really ring true, be it many weeks/months/years later.

Please share a saying or tip that an adult once told you that you found be quite accurate later on. (Or share a “horror” story about advice gone wrong, such as how my 4th grade teacher told us to hold our breath whenever passing a cemetery or risk lost souls invading our bodies... I don’t think I was the only one who held her breath for even years afterward!)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i was younger, my mother and i would often fight about the clothes i wore. i was something of a goth in high school. i also have a penchant for really short skirts. Often, my mother would exclaim, "Ai-yahhhh!!!" Then she'd launch into some tirade about how stupid I looked.

Well, i'm 25 now, and i still see teens wearing what i wore when in high school (funny how Hot Topic isn't out of style yet), and I'm seeing it. My clothes looked absolutely ridiculous. Sorry folks, but it's true. My mother was right. Us goths look silly.

I've settled on baggy jeans and baby-tees for my weekends. I dress in business casual for work, which means I shop at Ann Taylor now. But my mother approves, so she doesn't "Ai-ya!" nearly as much anymore.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and dad both used to tell me to stop complaining about school and work before I was 18, and to stop wishing my life away, because when I am 18 and out of school, and get a taste of the real world, I will wish I were 16 again, and didn't have to worry about bills, money, etc.

Its funny because every morning when I drop my brother off at school on my way to work, along with my neighbor and my cousin, they complain about "going back to that dump" and I find myself saying the same thing my parents told me when I was their age:

"You better enjoy it while you can because when you're my age, You're gonna wish you were back in high school again and not having to pay all of those bills!"

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HumanTornado
Activist
Member # 23519

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HumanTornado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is the kind of shopper who can stand in an aisle for about 15 minutes, comparing prices to find the cheapest brand of toilet paper. I used to make fun of her for that and proceed to throw 'my' brand of toothpast/shampoo/whatever into the cart, regardless of the fact that it was two bucks more expensive than perfectly useful no-name products.

The first thing I noticed upon living on my own was that it does make a huge difference if you shop around for the best price. Consequently, I now spend large amounts of time comparing prices, as well. My mom really enjoyed her "I told you so" moment when she first noticed.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.