Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My father has Alheimerz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My father has Alheimerz
Sweetpeas0214
Activist
Member # 15069

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 18 and my Dad is 73 I am an only child and my mom's 56. My mom and i think that my dad has alheimerz but he refuses to go to the doctor. When we went to Flordia a couple of years ago he got lost walking on the beach and was gone for 12 hours. It was very scary. He has alot of problems remembering things. He asks the same questions several times in a short period of time. I get very frustarated with this and alot of times find my self being very short with him or even yelling. I love my dad and I don't want to be like that. Has anyone gone through this? If so how did you handle it? I appreicate any advice.
Posts: 57 | From: Knoxville, Tn, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gee6687
Neophyte
Member # 14709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gee6687     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My great-grandmother had this disease years back. It was hard for me, her having been the woman who raised me the first nine years of my life. I'm not quite sure what you can do, though I know detection at an early stage can help greatly. I'd advise talking to your father's doctor or even your doctor yourself. Finding out all you can. Tell them what has been going on with your father, and if it is what you think, perhaps the doctor could help you. Find out what you can, and see if the doctors have an idea to whether or not it is what you think.

I do send my sympathy, and I know how hard this can be on you. Watching not only the effect on your father, but worrying about whether or not you'll be what is forgotten next. Just be there for him all you can, show him your love, and remember there are people out there who are in the same situation.

I hope this helped you.

Posts: 4 | From: Plainfield, Illionis, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.

My grandmother has the same disease. Well she's had it for a few years now. It's obviously very advanced. We have had doctors confirm this. We do not know how much time she has left. It's actually a disease that takes years..

anyway, the constant annoyness is still there. Her husband passed away almost a year ago.. So now she's living with us. She also spends time with my dad's other siblings. It is weird to see her have different reactions than she had like say 10 years ago.

To cope, well it's obviously difficult, but you can't control her disease. Its impossible. So all you can do is put up with the person, and love them anyway. It's the time you have with them regardless what they do or whatever is precious.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweetpeas0214
Activist
Member # 15069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father doesn't have a doctor and as long as I can remember he has never been to a doctor. My mom and I have tried to get him to go and so had his sister. He just won't go he refuges. He says he is perfectly fine and that he doesn't need to go. He can't remember if he has eaten and I think that he forgets to eat during the day when no one is home. Its just all really frustrating.
Posts: 57 | From: Knoxville, Tn, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
You should suggest that your mother seek power of attorney for your father. My mother had Alzheimer's and my father didn't get power of attorney while she was still legally competent. So she eventually had to become a ward of the Public Trustee which can get complicated.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.