Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » communication issues...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: communication issues...
awonderingpoet
Neophyte
Member # 14998

Icon 5 posted      Profile for awonderingpoet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I love each other very much… but we are having a few problems with our parents. We have an awkward situation… My dad works for his… and for a while now his dad has been asking mine about my boyfriends and my relationship. The odd thing is that he and he dad talked about all this a while ago… and they agreed to talk to each other, is his dad had any questions he would ask him, and not my dad. My dad is a very religious man and doesn’t lie. So if he is asked about something that he knows he feels like he has to tell… It’s difficult for me on this because I am used to telling my parents a lot. We have a very open relationship and I feel very close to them… but now that we have this situation I feel that I can’t tell my dad anything about what’s going on for fear that he’ll be asked about it. I can still talk to my mom, but I know it’s difficult for her to not talk to my dad… and I really don’t want to put him in a bad situation… my boyfriend is going to talk to his dad again… other then that is there anything I can do?

Oh, and we started going out before my dad got the job… we met in drama club about 4 years ago…have been good friends for about 2 years… and have been dating for about 5 months…

Posts: 5 | From: Where I am | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that having your boyfriend talk to his father is the way to go. That way, his father won't learm of your relationship 3rd hand. Is there reason to be worried about him finding out about you and his son are girlfriend and boyfriend?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awonderingpoet
Neophyte
Member # 14998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awonderingpoet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, he already knows we are going out. That is why he asks my dad questions... He wants to know what's going on between us.
Posts: 5 | From: Where I am | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you and your b/f are engaged in unsafe behavior, it is not your Dad's place to pass on private information. Have you discussed this with your dad? Probably the best response your dad could make to an inquiry would be to refer his boss to his own son.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.