Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » how many months into a relationship...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how many months into a relationship...
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

Icon 5 posted      Profile for nonlinear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do most couples have sex, assuming it is a reasonably serious relationship? I understand that everybody is different, but do most teenage relationships (and romantic/intimate relationships in general) end up involving sexual activity? Just curious.
Posts: 79 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
appleorchard
Activist
Member # 40302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for appleorchard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it totally depends on the people. some people dable in oral for a long while before having vaginal intercourse. however, I have friends who skipped all that (some what foolishly) went into sex, unprepared, thinking they'd last forever and ever (even though she knew she was leaving the state,,,forever) and the relationship ended a week later. I have been in a relationship now for 11 months, im a teenager, and have not had sexual intercourse yet. It definitely differs, unimaginably so. Some people are just waiting for the right person to elope with, me, I just wanted someone to love. Sex has always been on the back burner of our relationship.
so yes, all depends [Razz] hope i answered some if any of those questions..

Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never lived in the U.S., and I don't exactly know if I'm the norm, but I'm a teenager and I've been with my first boyfriend for four and a half years now. And you know what? We've never had intercourse [Razz] . However, we don't consider ourselves virgins anymore. So to answer your question of how far into the relationship couples have sex, you have to define sex. I stopped thinking I was a virgin around 3 years ago, but others would say I still am.

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nYko
Neophyte
Member # 41487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nYko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be completely honest, I'd think that a huge majority of relationships amongst teenagers today involve sexual activity... while a lot shouldn't.

Who cares though? Your relationship doesn't have to be the same as everyone else's relationships. Have your own unique relationship. [Big Grin] It's yours, not theirs. Do what you want it. If you want to wait for four+ years like Nailo? Perfectly fine. If you know you're ready (what the possibly consequences are, you're ready for them, and whatnot) then by all means, have sex. As long as you both want to. [Smile]

[ 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: nYko ]

Posts: 11 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonlinear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for your responses. Anybody else have opinions?
Posts: 79 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you just want another person's opinion, I had sex with my boyfriend about 3 1/2 months in to our relationship. It had a lot less to do with timing (although that had a little importance, because I don't think either of us couldn't have handled having sex within just a month of dating) and more to do with our level of trust and our feelings about each other. I had previously thought I would never have sex until marriage, but once I realized that this was the man I was going to marry, it became a lot less important to me to just wait for a piece of paper. I'm not saying marriage isn't important if that's what you want (and, personally, it definitely IS what I want), but...anyway, that's getting off topic. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't really put a time limit on these things - it's when it feels right to you. The criteria for me were being in love, knowing he was the only one I'm going to have sex with (unless something goes horribly wrong), knowing that I'll be able to handle him NOT being the only one I'm going to have sex with if something DOES go wrong, and being completely prepared to deal with a pregnancy if one occurred. Mostly, we thoroughly talked about it before we did anything. But I know not everyone has those criteria. The most important thing to do is decide what YOUR criteria is and then make sure those criteria are fulfilled before you have intercourse.
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lozzy57
Neophyte
Member # 38279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lozzy57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with everyone so far, it's entirely up to you, and when you feel ready.

My boyfriend and I had only been dating a month and a half when we first had sex, and that was his first time, although we had known each other a long while before that.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as everyone knows what's going on, no ones drunk or pressured into anything, and you both understand fully about protection, (and possibly think about being over the age limit whereever you are too), then its up to you.

--------------------
Chin up darling - knock yourself out!

Posts: 26 | From: London, UK | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJandDC
Neophyte
Member # 41528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJandDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally up to you.

Just as a vote of support for waiting though--my boyfriend and I just recently had sex after dating for almost 5 years. It's possible to wait, and if that's what's right for you, you shouldn't feel bad about that. In my opinion it's the best way to avoid regrets.

Posts: 15 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.