Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What if s/he LAUGHS at me?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if s/he LAUGHS at me?!?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've often heard users express a concern in sexual relationships or potential sexual relationships that the other person might laugh at their body, how it does (or doesn't) respond sexually, at what sexual desires a person might have, the works.

Have you felt this way before, or do you feel this way now? What are these fears for you, if you have them, and where do you feel like they come from? What do you think would -- or do you know to -- assuage your fears: more time to develop trust and knowing one another, more gradual entry into kinds of sex together, a cerTain kind of commitment, a given discussion about your worries...?

Do you ever worry that YOU will laugh at (not laugh with) a potential or current partner when it comes to sex? Do you feel like you can be trusted to have the maturity not to mock or laugh at a partner? And if you have no concerns you'd do such a thing, but have concerns a partner would, why do you think that is?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really felt scared I'll be laughed at. I've been scared of disappointment, or disgust, about my body and my sexuality. This is mostly because this is how I was brought up. I was scared the first time my boyfriend saw me naked that he wouldn't be satisfied with my small breasts, or would be grossed about by my body hair. But he wasn't because he's awesome [Smile] . And no, I never worry about laughing at someone when it comes to sex. The only times we've ever laughed has been in a light hearted, "whoops, silly us, my shirt is stuck over my nose and won't come off" kind of way. Sex, and love, are discoveries. Not everything is going to be perfect, and that's great. I don't separate sex from love either, so I think... why would I ridicule someone I love, in any situation? I can definitely be trusted not to mock anyone.

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TPB
Neophyte
Member # 40974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TPB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a new guy it's always a little nerve-wracking but after a point, there is enough trust that you know they wouldn't be awful and that they love you for things other than your body, so that little imperfections don't matter.
Posts: 19 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimble
Activist
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not exactly afraid that my bf will laugh at my body, but I am certainly extremely self-conscious about my body. I insist on keeping the lights off...I'm not sure the root of this but it's definitely not coming from a fear of being laughed at. Whenever I have a shy/self-conscious moment my bf always tells me that I'm beautiful, which happens quite often actually. My bf is not exactly good-looking (but he makes up for it in many other ways!) so it's not like my body doesn't "live up to" his body or anything.
Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have trouble imagining a partner actually laughing at me, but I have had similar anxiety about being judged. My fears have mostly been about stuff like: my touch isn't good, that my movements aren't natural or sexy, that I'm too rigid, self-conscious, awkward, not tuned-in to the other person, selfish...

There's a certain strain of those feelings with which I feel a pretty direct connection to a childhood incident. I had a sexually-abusive caregiver who would mock how I bathed myself and how I dried off with a towel (and used this as a rationale for fondling me). I remember feeling incompetent and shame about how I touched my body.

This is a very straightforward example of a child's relationship to her body being perverted, but I mean, there are probably a million ways I got subtle and not-so-subtle messages from my parents that my impulses and how I was in my body were not good: as a child my dancing was ridiculed, going through puberty I got negative messages about being naked etc. It was a general atmosphere that said my physicality and my sexuality were not okay...The result being that I AM particularly self-conscious with partners and have also felt like I'll be judged harshly because of it.

What has helped assuage the fears are some of the things Heather suggested: trust over time, feeling close with a partner and ongoing discussion. It's also helped realizing that I really, truly don't have to participate in activities that I don't feel comfortable doing. If I'm feeling incredibly awkward with some activity, it's a big hint that I don't want to be doing it at that time.

[ 11-22-2008, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.