Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » interfaith relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: interfaith relationships
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know any good articles or resources on helping parents understand that interfaith relationships work out just as well as same faith relationships, and they are not the end of the world, and won't damage their grandchildren forever?

I have had many long talks with my parents about this. While my dad is rational about it, he just thinks I could avoid some problems by marrying of the same religion, and he personally thinks I should. My mother is completely illogical and says things like " I would never do this to my parents" or "I would never think of dating someone outside the faith" and "mixed marriages never word" and "interfaith children don't have any identity"

I have looked up psychological articles that debunk these myths. My mother says "I'm reading too many psychology books and think I know everything, what can I know when I'm 19" and "a bunch of wackos write those peer reviewed psychological articles" My dads response is "one wise mans word is no better than a hundred idiots" (or however that saying goes)

I know my mom will never be happy with anything her children do because she is too inflexible with what is considered and okay way to live your life. My sister is engaged to someone of a different faith and my mother is convinced it will fail and my sister will be unhappy forever.

I just don't really know what to do at this point. Of all the stuff I have read up on it, the biggest challenge intermarried couples have faced is disapproval from family.

Is there anywhere I can send my parents to help them understand?

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, at 19, it really isn't necessary that you try and seek your parent's approval on any of this. (I can see you're trying to do what you can to help them understand, but with stuff like this, beliefs can be pretty deeply embedded, and the chance of them all the sudden understanding or accepting is pretty low.)

To be honest, from the sounds of it, since your mother has already declared your sister's interfaith relationship a future failure, chances are no article or resource will change that. At 19 years old, you're already a legal adult, so nothing your parents say can really have any significant effect on what you do with your relationships unless you allow it to.

I commend you on trying to work with your parents on this one, but from the sounds of things, you may be better off letting it go, and taking care of yourself, rather than trying to please them.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I don't need their permission or anything, it's just that I know it will tear apart the entire family.
My sister is a bit of a different case because her and my mom have so many other issues (to which they are both at fault)

It's gotten to the point where I don't even think I would tell my parents (or at least for quite some time after)if I broke up with my current boyfriend, just because I could not handle them being so pleased over it.

I think at least my dad could try to have an understanding since he is trying to be logical and reasonable about all this. I don't know about my mom, she said we could go talk to a therapist about this when we got home, but she is convinced they will agree with her. She has also said nothing will change her mind, but it seems like a therapist is the best choice, or if not maybe I will search for a book.

It just frustrates me so much, because my mom is so upset that we aren't closer, but she doesn't realize it's because I can barely talk to her because she can't accept my own desicions, thoughts, and actions, unless she agrees with them herself.

sorry I guess this is just kind of a rant now

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, going to a therapist together sounds like a great idea. It will give the two of you a chance to talk in a safe space and it might give both of you some perspective on where the other is coming from.

I hear you giving some pretty valid reasons to be frustrated with your mom, but it also appears that she does want to improve things between the two of you and is willing to do some things (like joint therapy) to make that happen. It sounds like you would like to have a better relationship too so I hope you two can find some common ground.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Thanks for the response, I do hope therapy will help but I am hesitant, not to mention the fact that my family is very low on money right now due to my sister.
But my mom says she will go for ME and when she went with my sister she was going for HER and she refuses to admit she has issues to deal with, but she will come with us if we want her to go. She doesn't have an open mind going into these things.
She has also said I will go with you to see the therapist, but nobody is going to change my mind.
We both want a better relationship, but the difference is she wants a relationship on her terms, when I'm doing what she wants me to do. I want a relationship of her accepting that her children have grown up and can think for themselves and make their own desicions, and she can be there to offer guidance or be a friend, but can no longer try to control us.
I also think it ruins some of my relationships with other family members. It's hard to explain, but I know they will tell her things, and I just don't know, it makes me feel removed from the family, like I can't really tell anyone much.

JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would highly encourage you to take your mom up on this offer and go, and see what happens, but I would also bear in mind that this may be something that really cannot be repaired or turned around, and that you may, in the end, have to accept your mother for who she is and do with your relationship what you can. I've had to face a somewhat similar situation with my grandmother, and on the whole, it's been a lot healthier for me accepting her as she is than trying to change 70+ years of stubborn beliefs.

(ETA: hunnybunny, I'm seeing you having to deal with a lot of things, and I'm wondering if some of this is connected. How are you doing dealing with all of this on your plate?)

[ 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

I'm not sure if it's all connected, and I'm not really sure how I'm doing, it keeps changing and such.

I'm more concerned about my mother accepting me. I don't know, I would just find it hard to have a one way relationship.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.