Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Why celibacy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why celibacy?
Spirit Wing
Neophyte
Member # 40738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spirit Wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you whom choose it... Why do you choose celibacy?

I am only looking for serious answers. I am not looking for "You shouldn't choose celibacy because of (xxx) reason" or "Why *are* you choosing celibacy?!" type answers.

I am with-holding information at this time for the reason for posting this kind of question, simply because of the above reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once in a while I chose to go celibate for a period of time. Often it's cos having sex at that time is ultimately not making me feel good.

Right now, me and my boyfriend of almost two years just broke up, and I'm not feeling too good emotionally. So right now I can't make healthy choices when it comes to sex. Which means I chose not to have any sex for a while.

Other times I've had flashbacks and the only solution I could think of was to go celibate for a while and dealing with the issues I had due to being raped.

So generally I chose celibacy when I don't think I'll make healthy choices when it comes to sex.

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Spirit Wing... if when you say celibacy you mean "not having sex", I'd I personally have made that decision many times simply because I didn't feel ready.

Mortality, you've outlined, really well, the scenarios where you made that choice too. It reminds me that people's sexual readiness can change over time rather than it being a progressive set of hurdles. Which is a pretty important point.

Also, as a note, please remember Scarleteen is a safe space, which discourages judgments on people's sexual choices. Choosing not to have sex is no better or worse than choosing to have sex.

[ 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not having sex right now because my girlfriend was raped and she wants to wait until she's married to have sex again. I love her more than I can express in words, and I don't mind at all that we don't have sex. Mostly I'm just thrilled to be with her.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Kitten
Neophyte
Member # 41073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should consider whether you want this celibeci to be something you actively pursue or not.

To me, not having sex has always been a direct result of not having a relationship, or having problems within a relationship. Never as an active choice, more something I did not come to while I had different priorities.

My most active choice I usually make is: "Will I regret this?". If the answer is yes, I don't have sex. If the answer is no, I do (if I can that is [Razz] )

--------------------
"Perfection is the absence of humanity"

Posts: 12 | From: The Netherlands, Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destiny90
Neophyte
Member # 41150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destiny90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it was a personal choice a long time ago to wait until marriage to have sex, just because of the religion I was raised in. Sometimes it's hard to stick to our moral convictions, but I have been told that it pays off in the end.

Also, it is a choice because I have seen so many of my family members make the decision to have sex at a very early age and end up regretting it. So when I have sex, I don't want any regrets.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.