Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » awkward with guys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: awkward with guys
throwingpens
Neophyte
Member # 40480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for throwingpens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never, ever, ever asked a guy out. I rarely even let them know that I like them. Anyway, through the pressure of my friends, I asked this guy to homecoming. Everyone acts like it's a hugenormous deal. I really like him, but he is, in the words of one of my friends "the hottest guy at the school." I'm just bad with guys. I'm awkward and really a nerd. I'm on the debate team and I do well at tournaments. This guy is in my homeroom. He's so nice, and sweet, and when he has problems he comes to me. His friends were really excited I asked him. (They're my 'in class' friends.) I just don't want to make an idiot out of myself.

He's a really big flirt, but I think he likes me. He's crazy conservative, and has been commenting on how hot Sarah Palin is. During last night's debate, we were texting about how my friends think I look her. And he said, "Absolutely. In fact, I've seen the similarities for awhile now." I don't know if he's just being himself or if he's actually flirting with me.

I'm going to go to a football game and a dance with him. I'm also the white girl. The whitest girl who cannot dance, and who has constant awkward social interactions. One of my best friends, the other day, likened me to Quinn from "Zoey 101." I'm not quite that nerdy, but I'm ridiculous.

I had a boyfriend last year, but I think part of the reason that I liked him so much was because he was the first normal guy to assert how he felt about me.

This new guy [the student body, I guess we can call him] is amazing. He's the my biggest cheerleader and I love talking to him. I like being around him. I'm just afraid I'm going to make an idiot out of myself next week.

Suggestions as to how I don't do that?

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be too worried about it. Just be yourself, this guy very probably like you just as you are if he's still dating you. Your ''nerd'' personnality, as you state it, might even actually be a turn-on for him. If he didn't like this side of you, he probably wouldn't be still dating you now.

And everyone's different, that's what make each one of us unique. The people going to that dance aren't all going to be good dancers, some will probably even be worse at it than you are, I promise. Even if you're not a good dancer, there's so much more to it than just dance.

So how about trying not to stress over that dance, the only thing this can do is just take all of the pleasure out of it. Just try to enjoy it ! This should be something fun, not something to loose sleep over. [Smile]

[ 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to go to a football game and a dance with him. I'm also the white girl. The whitest girl who cannot dance, and who has constant awkward social interactions. One of my best friends, the other day, likened me to Quinn from "Zoey 101." I'm not quite that nerdy, but I'm ridiculous.
The lovely thing about dances is that almost no one paying any attention to what you're doing. And those who are? Those are either the people who your with who don't care if you're a bad dancer because they know you're having fun, or they're the people on the sidelines who wish they had the courage to be out there dancing.

If you're looking for advice about how to not make a fool out of yourself: Go out there, have fun with it, move however you want to move without second guessing yourself and treat any friendly ribbing as exactly what it is: friendly ribbing.

[ 10-04-2008, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Penwords ]

Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Michael
Neophyte
Member # 40500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Michael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way with girls. I can talk to girls just fine, even if interested in them (well, almost fine), but I can't seem to gather the courage to ask a girl out, and if I were to have a girlfriend, I doubt I'd be able to make any sort of move, romantic or sexual.

It makes it tough to find a girl. [Razz]

--------------------
"I can go without risk and feel dead, or take risks and be alive."

Posts: 9 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.