Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How do I tell my boyfriend I'm ready for sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I tell my boyfriend I'm ready for sex?
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm ready to take the big step and have sex for the first time. The problem is, I have no idea how to break it to my boyfriend. We've been together for a year and a half, i'm two years older than him (he's 16, I'm 18) and I really want to let him know i'm ready. But i'm too shy and i'm terrified about bringing up the awkward topic. We've never really discussed our sexual relationship and all we've done before is a little touching. So can someone give me tips on how to let him know?
Posts: 76 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hottie123,

Its best just to be honest with him abut how you are feeling. It is going to be awkward, that's almost guaranteed especially if it's not a very common topic that the two of you usually talk about.

The important thing to remember is that he may not be ready yet. A very common misconception is that "just because he's a guy" he'll want to have sex as soon as the word "yes" leaves your mouth.

I would suggest taking a look at this article. IT explains all about talking to your partner about sex.
Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner
Here are some sample conversations, there is one about you being ready to have sex and how to approach your partner about it.
Sample Conversations

I also think you should read This article. It helps you and your partner know whether you are fully ready for sex, or not.

Hope this was helpful, thanks for joining and feel free to ask more questions. [Smile]

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Posteriori
Activist
Member # 34384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Posteriori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with Love-Life. When my current girlfriend (she's 22, I'm 19) asked me if I'd like to have sex back in February (I was a virgin), I kinda freaked out and needed two days to mull it over. She was a bit taken aback because guys are always supposed to want sex, but I just wasn't sure for some reason. I had no idea why, and it wasn't a rational reaction. I knew that I wanted to, but I needed to just come to terms with it or something. If at first your boyfriend is a bit confused or doesn't react enthusiastically, he might just need some time/space. Then again, he's an individual (i.e. not me) and like any individual he'll have a unique reaction.
Posts: 82 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the best way to do it is to just come out and say it. Yeah, it may be a little awkward, but it's a conversation you need to have. Keep in mind that he may not be ready just yet, and/or that he may want to let the relationship get gradually more physical before jumping into sex (since you said that all you've done is "a little touching," though I'm not sure if that means manual sex or holding hands).

Being able to communicate wants and needs is an important part of having a sexual relationship, so telling your partner that you would like to have sex with them when they're ready is an important first step to really being ready to have sex.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johann7
Activist
Member # 29754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johann7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed; open, honest (and non-judgemental) conversation is necessary for a relationship of ANY kind, sexual or not, to be healthy for all parties involved. I would suggest reaching this point before having sex: (to borrow a line from Heather) why are you trying to engage in sex(ual activity) if you can't even talk about it? (I may have butchered that, it's been a while since I saw it floating around here somewhere). YOU personally may be ready, while you as a partner in your relationship may not be. I'm not trying to dissuade you or scare you, I just want to make sure you're viewing your situation realistically, and the articles mentioned will help with that.
I might also suggest Is THAT All There Is?, as it deals with expectations and first sexual encounters. On the plus side, being open, honest, and non-judgemental are good ways to make sex enjoyable for any and all involved parties, so you can look at improving that part of your relationship as preparation for the sex part. If you trust your boyfriend and you trust yourself, there's no reason your discussion about sex HAS to be awkward, although, of course, it might be anyways.

Best of luck to you, and always rember that as long as you (both) are being safe and doing sex YOUR way, you can't get it wrong or mess it up. :-)

--------------------
Robble Robble Robble!

Posts: 46 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.