Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Long Distance Relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long Distance Relationships
ScUbAbOy
Neophyte
Member # 36651

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ScUbAbOy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

I recently met a girl while camping and we became quite good friends. We have been texting each other pretty much everyday. The problem is that she lives about 3 hours drive away from me.

Everyone i talk to says that long distance relationships never work, but i want to make it work.

My question is what can i do to help make it work?

Help would be really appreciated, thanks,

ScUbAbOy

--------------------
masturbation is the best form of sex because it's with someone you love :)

Posts: 14 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you use the search tool and search "LDR" or "long-distance relationship," you'll find a LOT of threads which could probably help you out.

IMO, long-distance relationships can work out just fine, but they're often more of a challenge for younger people than for older people. Older people tend to like more time alone and a slower pace with relationships, and as well, being young often means having very limited income, or just none of your own. In some ways, LDRs get easier the more cash you have because you can visit one another a lot more often.

But a three-hour drive really isn't all THAT far. It's not down the block, sure, but it's also not a flight away, either, so you two making day trips to see each other every few weeks should be pretty easy to arrange.

Just make sure that your texting/phone use is covered in your folks' plan if you don't pay for your own bill. Many a teen LDR comes to a quick end the first time someone's parents get a phone bill with several hundred dollars in charges. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScUbAbOy
Neophyte
Member # 36651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScUbAbOy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks heaps for the advice!!

--------------------
masturbation is the best form of sex because it's with someone you love :)

Posts: 14 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffro
Neophyte
Member # 36621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill tell you my current story.
I met a girl on (the internet)
shes 18, as am i. we met about 20 months ago on this site and hav been talking on msn since. well she lives in melbourne, australia and i live in sydney, australia. about a 10 hour drive, 1 and a half hour flight ($250 return, or there abouts)
start of december she came up here with her mum to see some relatives and friends that she has in sydney. so we decided we would meet up one of the days she was here.
we met up on the friday night she was here, went to the movies.
we got on really well. saturday night she came out clubbing with me then stayed at my place.
sunday she had to back to her relatives, monday she stayed at my place again after we went out to the city for lunch. then on tuesday she went home.
we missed each other terribly. couldnt stop talking on msn, would never want to turn the webcams off.
few days later i changed my mobile to a plan with her on optus, now we have free calls to each other and we talk every night.
i went down to meet the rest of her family the weekend before christmas.
i got on very well with them, and i guess they liked me, cause they let her invite me down again for 12 days after christmas, so i was down there for new years and nearly half of january. we had a great time.
now its alot of msn and phone calls.
shes coming up here again in feb, and again at easter.
we hav been together nearly 2 months now and are doing great.
at first she didnt know how we would go, but its getting alot better.
old saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder."
i believe in it. if you truely love each other then distance wont stop you. 3 hour drive is nothing for love.
persist with it mate. have faith and all will be fine if u are truely for one another!
good luck

Edited: Sorry, we cannot allow linking to outside dating sites or any other medium where users may contact each other privately.

[ 01-30-2008, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

--------------------
Jeffro

Posts: 6 | From: sydney | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyricalboy
Neophyte
Member # 36784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyricalboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been a situation with long distance man. i give you props if it does work out for you. but i think what screwed us both up in my previous relationship is that we both didn't trust each other. if you both really like each other, and the trust is there between the two of you, then it should work out. if you get the chance to go and see her, then make that trip. even if it's during the weekend or something, try to make an effort to see her. it might just make her day. i mean i live in hawaii and my ex-girlfriend was on another island. my trip was a 20 minute flight, but i didn't want to waste my money to buy a ticket to go to oahu. she didn't think i was trustable and that i never made an effort to see her. all girls are different, but i hope this helped.
Posts: 23 | From: hawaii | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with jeffro,

I've been in a long distance relationship for 3 1/2 years now. My boyfriend and I have known each other since I was five (as he is my best friend’s brother) and he lives back home (at best over an hour thirty). I go to school and during the summer I work up in this area because it’s a great job for my major. I have barely any time for the work I need to do so we don’t see each other except for holidays off school.

The thing about living away is that the time you spend together can be that much more special. It’s great how we got into this comfort zone where sometimes we can sit and talk on the phone for hours at a time, but then when we’re together we spend a lot of time just cuddling and trying the “get lost in the other’s eyes.” Trust is the huge factor though. You have to love them enough to trust them when you’re far away. It’s one of those commercial type things “ gas … $30, Dinner $40, spending time with the one you love … proceless!”

Best of luck, I hope your relationship works out!

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corrie paige
Neophyte
Member # 36811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corrie paige     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im in a long distance relationship. About an hour and a half to 2 hours. I see him every weekend pretty much and sometimes we even get a chance during the week. I saw him just today in fact. If you really want it to...it will work. ^.^ GL
Posts: 8 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmbersoontobeKeeling
Neophyte
Member # 36763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmbersoontobeKeeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 and a half years ago, my fiance was touring in Florida when I met him. We kept in contact through the internet and the phone. A year and a half ago, we started dating and I only get to see him every few months. So if we can keep a relationship between Florida and England.... its definitely possible. But warning: it is very difficult because its hard not being with each other every day when you love each other. However, him and I are getting an apartment together in May. Good luck... hope our story gave you some inspiration.

--------------------
~*~Amber Rose~*~

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.