Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Poly relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poly relationships
Hohum
Activist
Member # 29073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hohum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone in one of these?

How do they work for you? Or how do they work period for that matter?

This was always something that interests me, but it just seems a bit complex lol. Especially since I can be a bit jealous and protective.

Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in multiple relationships, yes.

They work differently depending on the people involved (much like monogamous relationships). I'd be happy to answer specific questions that you might have about mine, but my relationships aren't the same as other people's polyamorous relationships.

Polyamory.org and the newsgroup alt.polyamory (which can be found through Google Groups) are useful resources as well.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I joined alt.polyamory not long ago and so far I've just been a reader, not a poster, so I can't give a good read on it. The group (and newsgroups in general) is a somewhat older crowd (I'm not quite 20) with different life experience than mine - so I'm mostly looking to learn.

I think that poly relationships are extremely viable relationships. For me, being poly as a personal identity means I am open to letting relationships develop naturally, instead of putting them in boxes (friend, sex buddy, boyfriend, girlfriend, lover, spouse).

I also think that poly relationships, like monogamous relationships, are only successful when everyone involved has a good grasp on their own emotions and cannot support themselves and each other. I used to be in a long-term (you know, -ish) monogamous relationship. I find my poly lifestyle now much more stable than that relationship because I know who I am and what I want, and I am able to communicate that with my partners and help us all be ok with any situation, together.

I would suggest "The Ethic Slut" by Donna Easton and Catherine Liszt. It's written to explicate poly relationships, but I've found it very insightful for personal and monogamous interpersonal relating as well.

--------------------
"only love freely given should keep me for her, not the constriction of a marriage tie" -Abelard and Heloise

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.