Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Recieving a Compliment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recieving a Compliment
poserxmeetsxme
Activist
Member # 29955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poserxmeetsxme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really been given a compliment from a guy before, except for my friends, so I'm not really sure how to take it. My boyfriend will say stuff like "I love your eyes" or "You're so pretty", and I always say "Thanks" or "You too" or something to that effect. I feel bad, just saying "Thanks".

It might be a self-conscious issue. I don't feel that I deserve all these compliments. I don't mind them, I just don't know how to respond.

Any ideas? Or help or anything? Thanks.

Posts: 51 | From: Lombard | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RandomGuy09
Neophyte
Member # 35427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RandomGuy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this sort of depends on whether or not you actually appreciate the compliment. Even if you don't feel you deserve them, do you still like hearing them? If so, I don't think that "Thanks" (with a smile) is such a bad response... at least, I personally have never minded it. What I don't like is when she says she doesn't deserve them, because it's sort of low self-confidence. Other things you could do are show a gentle sign of affection that you appreciate it such as a light touch, smile, the purr-noise that some girls make when they hear something sweet (I don't think I can describe it any better than that!), etc. Or, be playful with it - "Yeah, you're right, I am beautiful" in a teasing way. Whatever best matches your personality type, I guess.
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poserxmeetsxme
Activist
Member # 29955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poserxmeetsxme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good suggestion. Thanks. Ya, he hates the whole 'low self confidence' thing too.

By the way, I just spent two minutes trying to imitate that purr-noise. HAHA.

Posts: 51 | From: Lombard | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RandomGuy09
Neophyte
Member # 35427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RandomGuy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm sure I didn't describe it very well! Purr makes it sound like something a cat makes... what I was thinking of was like the "awww" as in "awww, that's sweet," but done with the lips closed and from the back of the throat. If anyone has any idea what to call that sound... it would be appreciated.

Oh well, whatever works! Best of luck!

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frogmite
Neophyte
Member # 30165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogmite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like an "mmmm"-ing sound, with an upward inflection.

--------------------
If I ever asked her to Skank, she'd probably think I called her one.

Posts: 34 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RandomGuy09
Neophyte
Member # 35427

Yeah, that's exactly it!!

The upward inflection is key, methinks.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.