Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Age of Consent???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age of Consent???
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the age of consent in Iowa?
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The age of consent in Iowa is 14 for males and 16 for females. [Smile]

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why the ages aren't the same? Think it's the same old double standard that boys are ready for sex earlier than girls?

And who exactly gets to decide the ages of consent? And on what basis do they do it on?

Also, have any ages of consent changed, or have they always been the way they are now?

[ 05-16-2007, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Yasmin ]

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guessed it. AOC laws exist for the proposed protection of minors, who may not have the maturity or life experience to deal with the consequences of sexual activity. Like any law, it changes by region and country according to social, religious, and moral values particular to the area. For example, you'll notice there that the AOC varies in some places depending on the type of intercourse had, and some are illegal altogether.

It is a common assumption that males are ready for sexual activity at a younger age; on the flip-side, legislators may assume that since a good majority of sexual consequences lay on the shoulders of the female (higher risk of obtaining infections, pregnancy), they should be protected from those consequences until older and, supposedly, better prepared.

[ 05-16-2007, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch! Yay Im of age hahah!!! Thanks again!
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygurl2285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the age of consent for Tennessee???

My bf sayd he thinks it's 18 but we hav no idea. He's 19 so I'm guessin' he's old nuff but i'm 14 so idk

--------------------
.:~!str8 up pimped babigurl!~:.

Posts: 27 | From: Tennessee, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your boyfriend is right, the AoC in Tennessee is 18. That means he could be charged with statuatory rape if you two had sex.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygurl2285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx! 1 more question. if i agree to have sex, why can he get in trouble?

--------------------

Posts: 27 | From: Tennessee, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because, under the law, you are not old enough to give informed consent. That is the point of having this law: to protect children/teens from being exploited by an older partner.

So, even if you had perfectly consentual sex, if someone reported your boyfriend, he could get into a lot of trouble.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

Thanx 4 answerin!!~Kelsey~

[ 05-20-2007, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: babygurl2285 ]

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

babygurl - I saw your previous reply and while I am glad that you removed it (discussing illegal activity on ST is not okay per our Guidelines), I do want to point out one thing: worst case scenario, your boyfriend could get stuck having 'sex offender' in his record, which would make things really tough for him.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

well it's not tell anyone or wait 4 years. i'd rather not tell anyone. by the time 4 years is up, we won't be together anymore.

--------------------

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
babygurl,
Just because you don't tell anyone doesn't mean that no one will find out. If you really care about him then you won't risk putting him in danger by having sex. As I hear, Tennessee has really strict laws about sex offenders too so that title would follow him around everywhere and make it pretty difficult for him to get a job or live any kind of normal life. That's very unfair to him. And you might not care since nothing will happen to you, but could you really live with yourself knowing that you contributed to ruining his life?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

He wants to have sex just as much, if not more than, I do.

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm asking myself some questions here so can I ask you to clarify those things ?

by the time 4 years is up, we won't be together anymore.

Why ?

He wants to have sex just as much, if not more than, I do.

Do YOU really want to have sex with him and are you ready for that ? Or is there pressure for you to have sex ?

[ 05-20-2007, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl2285
Neophyte
Member # 33572

"by the time 4 years is up, we won't be together anymore.

Why ? "

we wont be together because he has to go to college. he's leavin next year.

"He wants to have sex just as much, if not more than, I do.

Do YOU really want to have sex with him and are you ready for that ? Or is there pressure for you to have sex ?"

yes i do, i care about him more than anyone else i've ever dated. he's never pressured me to have sex with him and i doubt he ever would.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...you care about him a lot, but you're willing to put him in this position? Frankly, you're playing with legal fire.

If he is reported, and if he is convicted, he'll have a sex offender tag for life. This will not go away, and will seriously impede his chances of doing anything he may want to do, including jobs, loans, schools, etc. People do not take kindly to a sex offender title, even if it was consensual: he's still engaging in sexual activities with someone he knows is a minor.

And really? The maturity difference between a 14 year old and an 18-going-on-19 year old is pretty big. The outlook on life is totally different, regardless of how mature you might be. This is not any sort of insult directed at you, mind you, but an observation based on a couple years of experience. I'd question why he's not pursing partners closer to his own age, and closer to his own life experience, and why he's choosing to pursue someone who is clearly a minor when he's a legal adult.

Babygurl, he doing anything with save for hugging, holding your hand, and kissing you is illegal. Since scarleteen does not endorse illegal behavior or discussions about it, we can't really go any further. What your asking about is against the law with very real legal repercussions. This is one thing that must be considered when you're deciding to become sexually active: can you deal with ALL the consequences, not just the immediate ones? Can you care for yourself if you get an STI, get pregnant, or need the pill, EC, or he ends up in jail? Can you, at fourteen, cover all of your safer sex needs? Just think about it for a bit.

That said, I'm going to close this topic. If you have more questions regarding this, please feel free to e-mail us at boards @ scarleteen.com

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.