Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » friend trouble/ I don't know if I am depressed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: friend trouble/ I don't know if I am depressed?
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, I have been losing a lot of friends. Not necessarily because we have gotten in fights, most of my friends and I have just started drifting apart (i.e. not hanging out/talking as much anymore). I feel so alone, like I have no friends at all. It makes me cry when I think about it. I mean, I'm not a loner, never have been. I have people I talk to in school who are nice to me, but it feels like no one wants to talk or hang out with me or anything. The only person I have is my older sister, who is going off to college at the end of august. I am always crying now, when I think about my social situation. On weekends when I am home and I know everyone else is out doing things, I cry. My mom has asked me a few times, "you know you haven't been as social and haven't been going out as much lately, are you and your friends in fights or something?" I want to tell her I feel like I have no true friends anymore, but I can't. I just break down when I think about it and I'm embarassed/scared to tell her. The fact that she asks me about it sometimes makes me think she probably knows something is up, but again, I am embarrassed about it. I just feel like no one outside my family cares about me. I don't know if I am depressed, but I don't know what to do. It doesn't help that one of my really good friends ( who doesn't go to my school) and I are currently not speaking because I confronted her about repeatedly breaking plans with me over and over (a few of the times with false excuses). If I ever do go out, I have to organize it, and a lot of times the person is already busy. All I want is true friends, and I am so extremely lonely and upset about how this has all turned out. What is going on? What is wrong with me?
Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laur, I really feel for you. And there is nothing wrong with you.

There are people who appreciate you out there, and even near you. Your previous friends might not necessarily fit that category anymore, but those people are out there, and it's not your fault you haven't found them yet. Your familly appreciate you, and they're not crazy. They're not making up what they see of you. Other people can see the good parts of you too. It's just that you've had really bad luck.

I'd say to join some clubs is the best thing for making friends, joint interests have sparked up most of my friendships. What are you interested in? Look through local schemes and newspapers for clubs for art or drama or sport or whatever it is that turns you on.

In terms of depression... It is a very grey area. In my definition It's feeling extremely sad and low self-worth in a way which isn't a response to my life, but it's something I find hard to control, and that I can't snap out of.

That's just one definition though. If you are feeling really low and think you need help, or that perhaps therapeutic help. The right kind of group therapy help could be good for meeting people and start addressing any depression you suffer from.

If you can contact your doctor I'm sure they could help you find something. Even through your school.

A member of my family is going to group therapy through my school, and is really enjoying it and has become a lot happier recently and is making a lot more friends.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.