Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Someone needs therapy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Someone needs therapy
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this, but here goes: a girl at my school who in all honesty acts and dresses like a complete (self-described) slut starts talking to me about a lot of really intense stuff that she says she tells almost no one. Stuff about how much she really doesn't want to be seen as a sex object, doesn't want to be a slut, but is addicted to meaningless hookups as they distract her from her emotional problems, and how she likes to be hurt and have other people completely in control of her, wants to get raped, cuts herself, doesn't know how to act around people unless she's hooking up with them, she traces a lot of this back to her father hitting her ALOT as a kid - like neighbors-calling-the-police abuse... (she still lives with him).

I talked to her for hours listening to her story and trying to think of the best way to help her, and ended up offering to basically be her friend and be there for her, which I hope is something, but the bottom line is that she needs therapy and needs professional help soon and clearly I can't give that to her. When I brought this up, however, she was completely unreceptive to the idea. "Don't tell me I need help," she said. Please help me figure out how to convince her to seek out therapy, if it's even possible to give advice with a situation like this. Naturally, I'm really worried about her- I'm graduating in a few weeks and I want to know she has help. Ideas?

Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone at school you can talk to? Someone like a counselor or a trusted teacher might be in a better position than you are to offer help.

I'm afraid that's all I can think of but I do want to say good on you for being there for her and trying to help her out.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.