Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » losing friends.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: losing friends.
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 9 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More and more I keep becoming unhappy. I am so frustrated with my social life right now. Okay, to start out I am a freshman in highschool. All my friends who I used to be BEST friends with from elementary school and through middle school are all drifting away from me. We went from being so close to being more like acquaintances. We don't hang out anymore, and barely talk at all. I feel so alone. I just wish I could have a close group of friends again. Now, on weekends, I am stuck at home because I hardly ever get invited to anything. If I hang out with people, it is 98 percent of the time something that I had to organize. Most of the time when I try to organize something, the person already has plans with other people. It feels like no one wants to include me in anything and I'm lonely. All I want more than anything is to have friends, not just acquaintances. I have met a few new people this year, but they all already have their group of best friends. I don't have a group of close friends anymore. I hate being lonely. I don't know what to do. All I want are best friends. It just feels like no one wants me around. Everyone is forming new cliques and I don't belong to any of them. I'm so tired of being home weekend after weekend, hardly having anyone to hang out with. I just needed to vent because I am feeling so alone. What should I do? Does anyone else feel like this or ever felt like this? I don't want my whole highschool career to be like this. I feel like I should be having fun, but I haven't been truly happy or having fun in a long time.
Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you're feeling. My best friend of 10 years and I recently had a big falling out. I went to a charter school, he went to an upscale private school, and almost immediately he started treating me like garbage (teasing me incessently, never inviting me to anything, dumping me for other plans, etc.) I was, at first, incredibly upset. But I started to talk to more people and I realized that if he wanted to treat me that way, it was his loss. I know it hurts (a lot), but if you expand your horizons and open up to other people, you'll find that there are many good people at there who are worth your time. That's not to say that you and your old friends will never be reunited, maybe they'll realize what they're missing, but building new friendships definitely eases the pain of losing old ones.

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting high school is a big transition. People come together from different schools and old circles break apart and new ones form. It's part of growing up and growing into yourself. Our interests change, and so naturally our friendships change. It can be a really difficult time, but I can assure you that you're by far not the only one in your grade feeling lost and lonely.

When I started high school, I spent the first few months hanging out with a group of people I knew from middle school, but as time went on I felt more and more like I didn't fit in with them anymore. So halfway into the year, I started talking more to some of the other people in my grade, became close with a girl I met through a project in Biology class and eventually found myself in a whole new circle of friends.

Don't assume that, just because people already have a group of friends, they're not happy to meet new people. Don't be shy about talking to different people. Joining a club or sports team can help you meet new people, too.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.