Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Yet......ANOTHER......age question...sy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet......ANOTHER......age question...sy
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to ask this but I really haven't seen this big of a age difference on the boards where ive looked, maybe ive missed, if i have send me some links. I'm 16 and am dating a 32 year old....he is really sweet and doesnt pressure me to do anything I dont want to do. Is this age difference unhealthy?? Our parents dont know anything bout this at all....they wouldnt approve, I need my moms permission, he doesnt need his parents tho, obviously.....Ive known him forever and I guess when i was little, I helped him through a really hard break up and i didnt even know it cuz I really liked him when I was little. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreicated!
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, my immediate reaction was "whoa." He's 16 years older than you/twice your age, and you really can't say that there won't be major differences as to where you are in your lives. The power imbalance between people who have such a large age gap can also be a huge deal.

Obviously you know this, because you haven't told your parents because they wouldn't approve. How are you dating if you say you need your mom's permission but they don't know?

I find it a little strange that you've known him "forever" and that when you were "little," you helped him through a really hard break up. If you've known him for even 4 years, you'd only be 12 and he'd be 28. That's a situation that really doesn't sound normal - your average 28 year old is generally not on level terms with a 12 year old child, even if you were precocious.

However, most people don't think of 12 as "little". If you were even younger than that, it gets progressively more questionable that someone his age would need help from someone your age. How did you meet him and how long ago?

Lastly, we don't know your location, but the age of consent in much of the US is 18. If you're engaging in sexual activity with this man, you could be putting yourselves at risk for having him labeled a sex offender. Looking into such laws would be wise before you do anything if you haven't already.

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to chime in, 16 years is a HUGE age gap even between two fully grown adults. Not minor, huge. (I navigated a gap like that when I was an adult with another adult, and even given that our levels of life experience were pretty close, and our dynamic was awesome AND we were in it eyes wide open, really addressing that gap a lot, ultimately, it was a whole lot of work and not a workable situation romantically: we wound up after a few years deciding we were better off just as friends.)

That gap between a minor -- and one who, looking at your post history, I'd call a young 16 -- and an adult in his thirties is massive.

I have all the same concerns Leabug does, especially in terms of wondering why an adult man is even looking to a very young girl for emotional support rather than to his peers.

It also goes without saying that generally NO kind of relaqtionshiop can be very helpful when it's a big secret: so, until both your families and friends -- both sets -- CAN know, I'd be stepping way back with this one, especially since you've also recently been juggling some serious stress and depression, which can knock anyone's judgment out of whack.

(This isn't, by the way, the boss at your job you've brought up before, is it?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.