Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Need help with my friend!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with my friend!
thejoesboy
Neophyte
Member # 32051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoesboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my friend is18 and he now is allowed to date by his overbearing parents. He has a nice, beautiful girlfriend, his first, and is getting pretty serious. They want to get married. He plans on doing this behind his family's back this summer. They both understand that they can't have kids yet, but I'm afraid that he is a little confused about his emotions, he has known her for only a few months.

--------------------
Ya Basta! Enough is Enough! - ezln

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to save the world.
-Nelson Mandela

Posts: 23 | From: Buffalo,NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This can be a pretty tricky situation sometimes!

In truth, some people really do click right away and feel ready to get married within a few months, and have happy lives together.

On the flip side, if your friend's new to dating, he may simply be feeling infatuated with his new girlfriend, and be convinced he's ready to take that leap before he really is.

If you're honestly very concerned that this girl is a poor match for him, or that they're not ready to be married, I think the only thing you can do is perhaps try and talk to your friend about your concerns, but be aware that this is the sort of thing that can break up friendships if not approached tactfully. It's up to you, really- you can leave it all alone, and perhaps things will fizzle out on their own. But do keep in mind that you can't make these decisions for him, and the final choice is ultimately theirs to make.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoesboy
Neophyte
Member # 32051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoesboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to his parents' Mouselini-like efforts, he has not reached the point of maturity that is required to delve into this kind of endeavour, or at least this is what I believe.

Well, just to help you understand the situation better, I work and practically live with this kid and his family. He is 18 in August, and I 16 in July. Our relationship is not at stake, as he would eventually get over it. I am more worried about him thinking I ruined his relationship, and the physical pain he can cause me.

--------------------
Ya Basta! Enough is Enough! - ezln

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to save the world.
-Nelson Mandela

Posts: 23 | From: Buffalo,NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Tell your friend to hold the phone.

His folks may be strict, but they're HIS FOLKS. And if they get married, she's going to become family, too, and those are some ties that bind. It's not gonna help her case to marry secretly and expect the people who are suddenly her RELATIVES to be very accepting.

I find the secret marriage thing to be rash and terribly immature in its lack of foresight.

If they want this to work out, they're going to have to wait and try to warm the families up to the idea. In the meantime, they can start on the road to MATURE behavior by doing practical things like save money, get education, find work and other such things to earn their independence. Tell them to learn about finances, joint accounts and the like. When they marry, they're going to need to know those things unless they enjoy struggling.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.