Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I feel ridiculously lame

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I feel ridiculously lame
echomikeromeo
Neophyte
Member # 29978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echomikeromeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got this crush on my best friend, you see. He's a senior, I'm a junior, we hang out all the time, whatever. (I'm female; he's male.) We're always very honest and open with each other, including and especially about sexual topics. And, well, it's very hard not to think about him sexually. But I've chatted with him about girls enough to know that I'm not the type for him to see in a sexual way, and I don't want to screw up our friendship by expressing my interest in him - especially as he hasn't noticed or has ignored a few hints I've dropped. It's made it very difficult to focus on our friendship and being "normal" when I've got this crush going in the back of my mind all the time. I just don't know what course to take: if I don't say anything to him I'll just grow increasingly frustrated, and if I do it'll just mess things up between us and he most likely doesn't see me that way anyway.

I feel so silly posting to this board about such a juvenile crush, but ordinarily my best friend is the one I'd talk to about things like this - and obviously I can't... does anyone have experience/advice that they could help me out with?

Posts: 29 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
echomikeromeo, your post isn't silly or juvenile at all; it happens to people of all ages. [Smile] Not that it makes it easier to deal with...

I think you could approach this in two different ways. The first is that you decide you aren't going to say anything to him about it, and that you work hard on and stick to completely ignoring your feelings.

The second is that you take the risk and tell him how you feel. You can (and should) be honest about it: "_____, I've developed a big crush on you, which has made it hard for me to view our relationship only platonically. I know you may not at all be interested, which is totally ok; I will cross any thoughts out of my mind, and stick to our friendship." Or something like that. And you take his reply (he may need some time to think about it) and stick to it. Even if it means the two of you taking a break from the friendship for awhile.

I personally would go for telling him, taking the risk that your friendship would be affected. Maybe he would consider it. Maybe he truly isn't interested at all. But I think it's worth a try, if only to clear things up in your mind. Good luck, I'm rooting for you! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echomikeromeo
Neophyte
Member # 29978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echomikeromeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply, Ecofem. I'm leaning towards this course of action anyway, I think, so I'll give it some thought and perhaps eventually act. :-)
Posts: 29 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PigmyPuff
Neophyte
Member # 29108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PigmyPuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd go for the second one [Smile] good luck, girl!
Posts: 24 | From: Argentina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.