Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » do you ever feel like your relationship cant possibly end?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do you ever feel like your relationship cant possibly end?
steph.
Neophyte
Member # 30141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steph.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have this boyfriend, and everything just seems so perfect. we never have serious fights, there are no issues in our relationship, we have amazing communication and can talk about anything, we always talk through problems we have with each other and compromise, we love being around each other, the sex life is great, etc, etc. in other words, our relationship seems almost perfect. i really can't picture myself with anyone else. i can't even imagine why i'd ever want to break up with him. hes just right for me in every way. i've had other boyfriends, and hes had other girlfriends, but nothing EVER felt this right/good for either of us. i'm just wondering.. am i being naive? do all good things like this end in a few months or years? i'm only 17, but i would quite honestly move in with him and marry him in a few years. is it wrong/stupid for me to hope that things work out that far into the future? i would talk to him about this, but i feel it is too soon to bring it up. am i setting myself up for disappointment? btw, i'm 17 and hes 19. i'm so happy with him and everything is so good right now and has been since i met him - but i sometimes stop and think, "be careful, because this won't last forever, nothing does. look at all these seemingly "perfect" couples who end in heartbreak, who promised they'd be together forever but broke up three months later." i dunno. [Frown] i'm confused. should i hold myself back, or just let myself be madly in love with him and let myself hope for the future?
Posts: 24 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with being in love. It's an awesome feeling to have, and it feels great while it lasts.

While it's good that you're so happy in your current relationship, you DO have to keep in mind that love changes over time. Lots of people find that they don't stay romantically in love as time passes; couples who have been together for a very long time love each other much differently than a young teen couple.

It's good that you realize that not everything lasts forever, too. But that's no reason to think doom and gloom thoughts, either.

The best advice I can give is to enjoy your relationship in the-here-and-now; the future is just that, and will be revealed in time. Be as independant as possible; most of your dreams and goals need to be about YOU, not you and him as an item.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, i felt like that not too long ago.

then he got thrown in jail for child molestation and i found out he was cheating on me.

enjoy what you got now. it sure sucks when something massive upends that kind of happiness.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jeeblebrox, I know how you feel. I've been with my boyfriend for nearly two years, and at one point, I too did not think I could be with anyone else. We're still together, but we will seperate next summer when my boyfriend goes off to college. We care about eachother, but you've got to be realistic about the whole thing.

Just enjoy what you have now, and if it lasts, than great! If it doesn't, than it doesn't.

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.