Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to know if he is interested in dating you

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to know if he is interested in dating you
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahdahboomdei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been out on one official date with a guy. I really like him, and he seems to like me, He's called several times. What is concidered dating? he asked me to hang out with him again sometime and has said he wants to get to know me better. Does this mean he's wanting to date me? or just scoping me out to see if i'm dating material ( meaning i'm not the only one he takes on dates?) I am so confused please help!
Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like he's fairly interested, to me.

Continue the dates and get to know one another. If the subject of commitment doesn't pop up, you could introduce it after it seems you're more comfortable with one another. Only then will you know if he's looking to date you exclusively.

[ 07-03-2006, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahdahboomdei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well he brought up the issue of past relationships and if they were serious or not,,, does that count? He asked me why i was still single,, and then i asked him and he looked at me and said "i just havnt found the right person yet." i know i probably sound stupid and paranoid, but could any of those have been hints in that direciotn?
Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, just like you, the best we could do is guess. And since we don't even know the guy and weren't present in that situation, even our guesses would still not be something to go on.

So you've been on a few dates, he appears to be flirting with you, and you've even discussed private matters such as past relationships. Really, it sounds like he might be interested. But the only way to know? Is to ask him. You hve nothing to lose here. So if you want to know what's going on, talk to him.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since we don't even know the guy and weren't present in that situation, even our guesses would still not be something to go on.

Does it really matter? she's asking for our advise and she should get it!

Anyway, i say he's probably interested. But that's just me. Other than that i agree with Miss Lauren all the way.

--------------------
"All is fair in love in war... wait... that doesn't sound right..."

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a guy, I can tell you that there really is no way to tell. Boys are strange creatures. My girlfriend and I had huge crushes on each other for months before I asked her out, and neither of us knew about this until it came up in a conversation many months into the relationship.

So it's all good and fine to guess about what he means and what he doesn't, but it's a very difficult thing to guess about. Maybe he doesn't even know what he's trying to communicate.

The only sure way to calm your nerves and figure him out is to talk to him directly about it. If you don't have the confidence to do that, don't worry about it; just get to know him more and let him make the hints. It's up to you, but as someone said already, you have nothing to lose, so try not to lose too much sleep over it either. (My two cents)

Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by samantha357:
Does it really matter? she's asking for our advise and she should get it!

Well, yes it does matter. Part of giving advice is being able to look at a situation and form an opinion. It's really hard to do that about someone completely unknown and it's worth noting when we're giving a guess or offering facts.

Most people don't want to hear "I'm not really sure..." but it's better to tell them that than just anything they want to hear.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a guy, I would have to say he almost definitely is interested. And at any rate, the fact that he asked why you're still single shows he thinks you're a great girl, so if you ask him if you're friends or more, he certainly isn't going to be rude to you. If he just likes you as a friend, he'll tell you and be nice about it. The main question you should ask yourself next time you see him is where his eyes go. If he looks into yours while you're talking, he's definitely interested. Most men will actually 'eye up' just about anyone, but be sure to look people they like in the eyes. Anyway, let me know how it goes.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Socks_With_Sandals
Neophyte
Member # 29750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Socks_With_Sandals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flirt with him a little and you should get a feel for where he's at.

*ahem*
http://www.sirc.org/publik/flirt.html

Posts: 1 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johann7
Activist
Member # 29754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johann7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bahdahboomdei:
i have been out on one official date with a guy. I really like him, and he seems to like me, He's called several times. What is concidered dating?

Well, he must have initially found you attractive enough to go out on an 'official date', and the fact that you had a good time and that he called you several times seems like a good sign. As for what is considered dating, it's whatever you and whoever you're dating decide [Big Grin]

quote:
he asked me to hang out with him again sometime and has said he wants to get to know me better. Does this mean he's wanting to date me? or just scoping me out to see if i'm dating material ( meaning i'm not the only one he takes on dates?) I am so confused please help!
Well, the point of dating, at least initially, IS to get to know someone and see if there is attraction for anything more. Go on a couple more dates, and if you're really into him, you could kiss him, see how he reacts, and take it from there (there's nothing wrong with girls taking initiative). Or, if you don't want to be that forward, tell him you're really into him and see if he wants to date exclusively (or "go steady" or "be a couple" or whatever the kids are saying these days [Razz] ). Either way, be open about how you feel and talk to him about it, that's the only way you'll find out what he's thinking. And if, at the end of the day, he does just want to be your friend or isn't interrested in a comitted relationship, it pays to figure everything out sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

--------------------
Robble Robble Robble!

Posts: 46 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.