Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Therapist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Therapist
BonnieWright13
Activist
Member # 24085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BonnieWright13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go back on depression medicine or I'm going to break down this summer. I want to go back and see my therapist but neither one of my parents want to put effort into it. My dad says he'll think about it, but he told me that months ago. My mom thinks I should tell her my problems and I just can't. She can't help this. I really need medicine to calm my nerves and make me happier and I'm getting mad at my parents not helping!!! I've talked nicely to them and they won't do it!!! Help me!!!
Posts: 70 | From: Covington,Kentucky,USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been in a similar situation before, i'm sorry your parents don't think you need help right now.

whatever you do, please don't do anything drastic and attention getting that will hurt yourself just to make them take you seriously.

try sitting them down and telling them that you need help. i know it might be hard, or uncomfortable, but it sounds like you'll really need to make it clear to them what you're feeling right now. try explaining to them what's going on in your head right now and what you think will happen if you don't get the help you need.

i'm not sure what your relationship with your parents is like, so i'll speak from my own experiance. i'm a quiet person, i don't share every single feeling i have with whoever is around me. for some reason, this has manifested strongly in the way i relate to my parents. i used to never tell them anything about what was going on in my head. looking back, i realize that if i had gotten over that they probably could have given me a lot more help than they did. so, sometimes its hard to talk to parents about personal things, but think about what will happen if they don't get that you need help. its probably worth feeling a little uncomfortable and making yourself confide in them.

good luck!

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry your parents aren't being supportive of your need for therapy [Frown]

Joyfulgirl has some really good advice above.

As well, i think you need to start seeking our some therapy on your own. I found a link for the Mental Health Assoc of Northern KY. It is located in Covington and their number is (859) 431 1077. Their website is http://home.fuse.net/mhanky/index2.html# It would be a good idea to give them a call and see what services they can offer for you. It looks like they have a support group that could be of some use to you.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when I was younger and wanted to seek therapy for myself, and also not having supportive parents, I went to my school counselor.

He provided me with a counseling service that went by your income, and if you are under the age of 18, your services were free of charges.

It was confidential, and you didn't need a parent to sign.

I'm not sure if your community offers anything like this, but if you go to your school counselor he/she may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Good luck [Smile]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.