Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Age differences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age differences
BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BelleMorte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this guy (it always starts this way, doesn't it?) at my church. He's the youth intern, and he's really funny, and nice, and smart. I like him a lot, and I'm almost positive he likes me too. We are both really deep into our faith, and have a lot in common, but I'm a little worried about the age difference. He's 23, and I'm 16. We wouldn't have sex, or anything like that, because it's against our religion, so we wouldn't have to worry about the consent laws.

Also, I think that age difference is as much physical, as it is emotionally. Both of us are really mature, me especially... On the other hand, my brother is dating a girl who is almost three years younger than him, he's 17, going on 18, and she's 15. She is very immature, and acts very childish for her age. I think that that is too much age difference, but I don't think that the age difference between me and this guy is as big. Does that make sense? I feel kind of like I'm a hypocrite for thinking this, but I do...

Do you think that 7 years is too big an age difference?

--------------------
"Ne donne un baiser, ma mie, que la bague au doigt" -Méphistophélès from Faust (Don't give a kiss, my sweetheart, until the ring is on your finger)

Posts: 44 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at your age, 7 years can be a huuuuge difference. this guy has a bit more experience than you do, and who knows what you'll be like when you're his age?! you may be mature, but there is still soooo much that you haven't gone through. perhaps if you were also in your 20s, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttoks1
Neophyte
Member # 29238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttoks1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont think 7 year's is to much realy well considering my paraent have a 10 year age differance they'v been together since my mum was 19, so they'v been together for 17 year's and married for 14

--------------------
war's come and go but my soldier's, they stay enternal-tupac shakur

time is a wast of life
life is a wast of time
so wast your time and have the time of your life

Posts: 19 | From: australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
conflicting opinions... fun!

Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate them!

I have no clue what to do... I really want to be in a relationship with him, but I don't know what would happen, or what people would think (because you know, ironcally, those church people can be pretty judegmental...).

Why do boys have to be so confusing?

--------------------
"Ne donne un baiser, ma mie, que la bague au doigt" -Méphistophélès from Faust (Don't give a kiss, my sweetheart, until the ring is on your finger)

Posts: 44 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, since you're worried about what people in your community are going to think they are the best people to ask. [Smile]

Have you mentioned your crush to your friends and gotten their opinions? What about your parents? Even if they like this man they might not be crazy about the two of you dating.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only breifly mentioned it to one of my best friends, he was pretty cool with it. I haven't really told anyone else yet, the only reason I told him was because we tell each other EVERYTHING, though I know I should probably tell other people...

I think it would be terribly awkward broaching (sp? is it brooching?) the topic to other people... It seems like it would be hard to find a way to bring it up...

[ 06-13-2006, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: BelleMorte ]

--------------------

BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Sorry to be a bother, but I really don't kow how I would talk to people about this... I don't really know how I can fit it into conversation

"Hey, how are you? How was your day? By the way, what would you think about me dating someone 7 years older than me?"

I wouldn't say it that tactlessly (I don't think....), but I really don't know how to bring it up...

Any advice is warmly welcomed! Thanks!

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about, "What do you think about teenagers dating adults?"

Or, "How do you feel about age-disparate relationships?"

Or, "Have you ever dated someone a lot older than you? What was that like?"

And how about, before even worrying about a capital-R relationship, you just hang out some more with him, have friends and family spend some time around him, and feel all that out before you even go there?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've had this problem, with the intern at church, actually. Wow, crazy. Anyways, talk to HIM about it. If you think he's interested, chat-chit with him about it and see what he thinks. If you're not sure he likes you yet, then wait and see if he approaches you. If he does, then talk to him about it. Really, he's gonna be the best one to ask. Turns out that it didn't work for me (he moved... sad). But, maybe it will for you... good luck! [Smile] Really tho? He'll be the BEST person to talk to about this.

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one addition to that: I don't know that I'd say the guy is the BEST person to talk to.

An important person to talk to about this, absolutely. But it's equally important to talk to people you trust, and who love and care for you, who don't have a romantic or sexual interest in you, because what they think can be more objective, and in the sphere of your life, is going to be just as important.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakimboor
Activist
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakimboor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what do you people think about age differences but the other way round: the girl being older (say a couple of years while both on their early twenties). do you think a relationship like this could be viable?
Posts: 55 | From: South America | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my godsisters is currently dating a guy 9 years older than she is (she's 19 and he's 28). before she went out with him, she spoke to us, her closest friends, and eventually her parents. and things are still good between them.

as for jakimboor's question (which is an interesting question :])i think that a relationship where the girl is much older could be viable, in much the same way as how if the guy's the older one. there are so many factors as to what makes a relationship work (age, maturity levels). however, i've seen a lot more girls from within my friendship group who would rather go out with a guy older than them as they need more emotional security.

--------------------
still flowin on the river of life...and i have no regrets.

Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Jakimboor, I think that a relationship with an older girl would probably work just fine. You just need to make sure you're both within the same level of maturity... since girls usually mature faster [Wink]

I think that's probably one of the reasons so many girls like older men: they're usually more mature...

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.