Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Telling them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telling them
His_Lil_Angel
Activist
Member # 24041

Icon 5 posted      Profile for His_Lil_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.. well i have recenty startd seeing someone and my parents know about him.. and are fine with the age difference (im 15 & hes 19) but the one thing they dont know about him is that hes been in prison and is on 'tag'.. i know it isnt really a big thing and people have said that to me but i think they have a right to know.. my parents are very judging and dissaprove of people who they think will make a bad influence on me.. do you think i should tell them? can anyone help me on how to tell them? any help is mostly appreciated..
Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If by 'on tag' you mean that he's on parole, then that is a big deal. Do you know what he was in for? How do you feel about that? How does he feel about what he's done?

Also, it doesn't really matter if your parents are fine with the age difference. The AOC in the UK is 16 (17 in Northern Ireland), so if you're engaging in sexual activity, that's illegal.

[ 05-31-2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His_Lil_Angel
Activist
Member # 24041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for His_Lil_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by being on tag i mean he has to be in his house between certain times (7:15am - 19:15pm) i know what he was in for yes and it doesn't bother me. hes trying to stay out of trouble now.
so how do you think i should tell them? and do you think that i should ?

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honesty is always the better policy, and in this case especially (also considering that you're still a minor) it would probably wise for your parents to know what's going on.

How you tell them is up to you and depends on how you think they'll take it. Maybe you'll want to start with the parent who's more likely to be understanding, or you'll just sit them both down and talk to them about it.

Do be prepared for your parents to not take this very well. A big age gap is one thing, a boyfriend who's been to jail quite another. Have your parents met your boyfriend? You might want to bring him in so they can see for themselves what kind of a person he is.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.